my lav rm-11 technique

RadoStefanov

• 2 weeks later...

The current lavs I use are the ME2's and they are such a pain to hide for me. Big and bulky. Maybe what I was really asking was,what is the best way to hide those big guys? I just ordered a pair of Oscar Sound Tech TL40's, hopefully I will have better success with those.

Unless you know your talent will be turning his/her head significantly to the left-right through the lines, the best place for a larger lav will be under a collar as long as the material isn't too thick. Ideally you want to put it under the opposite collar of the camera... i.e. if the talent is looking camera left, put it under the camera right collar. Then get it as far forward as you can without too much risk of a slight head turn revealing the mic. Finally, be sure it's placed so that you have some air around it... i.e. not all the way up in the "corner" of the collar, or all the way down where the collar meets the shirt. I would also suggest a strip of gaff behind the mic, also under the collar.

If it were up to me, all business shirts would have an over-sized button hole at the back of the neck on the inside collar... but in most cases, there's a jacket involved (2+ layers is bad for clothing rub)... or else you can feed the cable down the back of the shirt if you don't see the talent's back.

With a larger lav I think that will be your best bet. I know a lot of people aim for the center of the chest as well... so anywhere that you have a valley (between chest/breasts) that gives you some air around the mic can work, like clipped on the center of a bra for instance... but I've gotten away from mounting lavs that low. My motto is "the closest mic wins"... and I live by it.

On a side note... I hope everybody that uses this site makes a donation to the site (aimed at anonymous readers, or people who only visit to solve a problem). Over the years I've started to feel funny teaching people how to do my job. These threads go hand in hand with the complaint threads of people pulling the wage down... There are tricks of the trade... many things I learned through painful trial and error... like, hmm... so that doesn't work if there's a polyester jacket... etc.

As it is now... successful lav'ing is an art... if you can continuously hide lavs and get guaranteed results. You're a rare breed.

• 3 years later...