Full Rycote or Ball Gag for MKH 50?

saadasound

If your asking for use with exteriors, then the full rycote. In heavier winds it is not only the wind passing over the capsule you hear but also the wind wistleing/humming through the mount itself.

Interiors for quick swings or where you might get a slight draft, the ball gag.

I just bought the inv-mkIII-hg (or whatever it's called) and a bbg w windjammer for my mkh50. Lovely mount. I have no problems with handling noise, sounds beautifully. I tried yesterday putting it outside in a quite strong gale, didn't flinch. Lightweight and small in size. Awesome.

And the size of the bbg is 25m

I just bought the inv-mkIII-hg (or whatever it's called) and a bbg w windjammer for my mkh50. Lovely mount. I have no problems with handling noise, sounds beautifully. I tried yesterday putting it outside in a quite strong gale, didn't flinch. Lightweight and small in size. Awesome.

I have the same for mine.

I also wanted to add putting some Gaffers tape over the switches helped reduce some wind noise I was getting when moving it in some angles.

check out Rycote's slip-on softie. I have the full zepp kit for my 50, but i only use it in high wind now. The slip-on is my new favorite thing. So easy and quick. Sounds great. Lightweight. For exteriors i almost always have it on. The zepp hasn't come out much recently... model is 5cm Large Hole (033013)

Oh, this is my first post on these boards. Long-time reader, blah-blah....

• 1 year later...

Olle, I love my 50 for interiors but I've never used it for exteriors. I was considering saving to get the MKH60 for that, but perhaps my 50 will suffice in most cases. Have you noticed any particular issues with using the 50 outdoors???  Have you used it in noisy environments?

No offense to anyone who likes using their 50 outside, but I have always felt that it is not the best mic outdoors. Short of just going with it indoors and out in a fast-paced doc scenario (in which case I always use a softie), I can't imagine that almost any decent shotgun mic wouldn't be a better choice for outdoors. Could someone enlighten me if I'm missing something?

E.

I've found the 50 wonderful outdoors with the BBG for the type of work I did. I kept the BBG on it all the time inside & out. Granted there was no reality or run-n-gun involved mainly civilized walk & talk and as far as I can recall no one complained about the wider pattern of the 50. Admittedly there were times when I chose to put the furry wind cover on the BBG as a just in case. I also carried a Neumann 81i short shotgun mic but never felt the need to use it over the 50. The 50 just sounded so nice all the time.

Solid: " I can't imagine that almost any decent shotgun mic wouldn't be a better choice for outdoors. "

your double negative clouds your statement (or is it a question?)

" Could someone enlighten me if I'm missing something? "

I'm not sure, but I can say that my 50's, and 641's sound and work just as good EXT as they do INT.

sometimes I prefer them, OTOH, I have also used interference tube mic's both INT and EXT; in that case, the action of the acoustic tube can be an issue, particularly in reverberant spaces.

Paul: " Yes, the 50 is a hyper, BUT...it very well may be better than a $325 interim shotgun. "

in what way(s) ?  that is a bit subjective.

" if I could actually use my 50 with a BBG. "

of course you could...

" if I should buy an interim shotgun mic "

that too...

I use my 50 outside all the time. If the mic is in good position, and there aren't noise issues, why would a 50 perform differently outside than inside? I have three 50s, two on indoor mounts and one in a Rycote 2. I also have a CMIT in a Rycote 4, but routinely use my 50 instead of the CMIT.

A mixer I boomed for some years ago had CMC641s in Rycotes, which was new to me. I used them and immediately loved the idea. "ER" used 50s outside on WB lot, which further reinforced my choice to use them outside.

Additionally, outside noise can bounce off hard surfaces like walls and sidewalks, so similar to a reverberant interior, a shotgun isn't always the right choice.

• 1 month later...

I really like the ORCA quick release. easy In and out . No twisting needed like the Ambient. And very easy to screw on the boom and the mic mount. I recommend it over the ambient.

http://youtu.be/kSjzx4XVh5I

Don't want to derail the topic to much but noticed you had grey lyres for your 8000 mic. How do you find they work for that mic?

• 8 months later...