744T DVD-RAM drive/walkie-talkie issue

leeascher

I use my SD DVD-RAM drive to mirror recordings from the 744T.  One night while working on the process trailer, I noticed every time I called "Speed" into the walkie, my 744T would beep, and I'd get a message that said, "EXT Drive Offline".  The graphic that showed the available space on the DVD-RAM disappeared, and I'd have to re-boot the recorder to get my DVD-RAM back online.  I experienced this again when a P.A. walked past my cart, talking into his walkie. 

So it seems that my 744T/DVD-RAM drive "hiccups" every time there is a walkie-talkie transmission at close range.  Has anyone else experienced this? 

Lee Ascher

Los Angeles, CA

I use my SD DVD-RAM drive to mirror recordings from the 744T.  One night while working on the process trailer, I noticed every time I called "Speed" into the walkie, my 744T would beep, and I'd get a message that said, "EXT Drive Offline".  The graphic that showed the available space on the DVD-RAM disappeared, and I'd have to re-boot the recorder to get my DVD-RAM back online.  I experienced this again when a P.A. walked past my cart, talking into his walkie. 

So it seems that my 744T/DVD-RAM drive "hiccups" every time there is a walkie-talkie transmission at close range.  Has anyone else experienced this? 

Lee Ascher

Los Angeles, CA

Yow--no I haven't, but I've certainly been in many "walkie-intensive" situations w/ my SD+DVDRAM rig.  This might explain some of the randomness I see in the performance of that system, which we had been thinking was DC power-related.  Are you bus powering the DVDRAM from the recorder?  Are you using SD's line filter firewire cable? 

Philip Perkins

Philip,

Yes, the DVD-RAM drive is being bus powered, and I do use the SD Firewire filter.  Come to think of it, I have seen the the EXT/INT POWER graphic switch from INT to EXT, and heard the machine "beep" when walkies are being used in close proximity.  Luckily, it's never ruined any takes on the INT hard drive.  It sounds like my DVD-RAM drive issue could be related to walkie RF interference affecting the DC power circuit.

-Lee