Chris Lange

Thanks David, That is tremendously useful.

As we can see in the shure chart, the entire block 24 and the bottom half of 25 will be restacked and unavailable to us from March 2014 (progressively I am guessing) in most major cities (excluding Perth and Hobart).

Practically, what would happen if you keep using B24 ? Crazy RF hits or risking a hefty fine (I personally have never seen cops driving around with an RF explorer) ?

Thanks David, That is tremendously useful.

As we can see in the shure chart, the entire block 24 and the bottom half of 25 will be restacked and unavailable to us from March 2014 (progressively I am guessing) in most major cities (excluding Perth and Hobart).

Practically, what would happen if you keep using B24 ? Crazy RF hits or risking a hefty fine (I personally have never seen cops driving around with an RF explorer) ?

The restack in Melbourne has already happened (Mar-2014 according to the chart)....So, how's B24?

If you look at the google earth transmitter data, you'll see current information as it is right now. It's also regularly updated by acma.

The Jands document is a big advertisement for their Shure products they are the agent for.

I'd believe Acma more than that Jands document. Just sayin

Also take a look at this

http://www.acma.gov.au/Industry/Suppliers/A-Type-of-equipment/WirelessMicrophones/fact-sheets-and-faqs

Use this site to find out when retuning/restacking will occur in your area.

http://retune.digitalready.gov.au/

This from ACMA, a measly 6MHz but guaranteed clear until further development. 

"

Nationally available spectrum

The following spectrum is now available nationally for wireless

microphones, no matter where you are in Australia:

>> 520–526 MHz (see Note 3)"

• 3 years later...

Has there been any movement on this? 

ACMA's channel finder tool suggests that blocks 21 through 24 are pretty well unusable in Sydney (with apparent restrictions for indoor use in a bunch of block 25). What are people running currently? B26 for talent? B25/B21 for IFB, camera links? 

5 hours ago, LDstudios said:

Has there been any movement on this? 

ACMA's channel finder tool suggests that blocks 21 through 24 are pretty well unusable in Sydney (with apparent restrictions for indoor use in a bunch of block 25). What are people running currently? B26 for talent? B25/B21 for IFB, camera links? 

I must admit I haven't kept up to date with whats actually changed, sold off and reused.

I have upper-wideband for talent TX. Generally I stick with 26. Wireless boom on 25, IFB is on 24 and Camera links on 22. Never had any real issues in any of these blocks all over Sydney. May just be lucky.

Down by Wollongong and Stanwell Park have been a different story.

11 hours ago, Nate C said:

I must admit I haven't kept up to date with whats actually changed, sold off and reused.

I have upper-wideband for talent TX. Generally I stick with 26. Wireless boom on 25, IFB is on 24 and Camera links on 22. Never had any real issues in any of these blocks all over Sydney. May just be lucky.

Down by Wollongong and Stanwell Park have been a different story.

Thanks for the info Nate! 

What has been happening further south? Interference on 22 and 24? 

I believe it's a new digital TV tower down the south coast that was causing the issue. For me 25 and 26 were totally blocked out. I was able to find a few useable frequencies on 24. Didn't use a cam link on that job so I can't say what 22 was like. 

In Port Kembla I've had issues on 22 but have always been able to find 1 useable frequency. Thankfully that's all I need. 26 was good. Didn't check the others. The shipping yards make life hard there. 

18 hours ago, Nate C said:

I believe it's a new digital TV tower down the south coast that was causing the issue. For me 25 and 26 were totally blocked out. I was able to find a few useable frequencies on 24. Didn't use a cam link on that job so I can't say what 22 was like. 

In Port Kembla I've had issues on 22 but have always been able to find 1 useable frequency. Thankfully that's all I need. 26 was good. Didn't check the others. The shipping yards make life hard there. 

The ACMA channel finder definitely echoes that! The only bits not available as "Good" are most of the range of block 25 and 26. There are little bits at the very bottom of 25 and very top of 26 that apparently work, but everything in-between is listed as "possible" with indoor use only recommended. 

9 hours ago, srsound said:

I just looked at the ACMA site and it says Channels 40-51(Blocks 24-26,Band C1) are "Available" in Sydney. 21 is Red so not available. 22 is a YES or unallocated from 568-575 and "Likely" for the rest of it. 23 is "Likely".

http://channelfinder.acma.gov.au/

Cheers

Steve

That is certainly the case for the suburb of Sydney, but it seems it varies a lot across the greater metropolitan area. Even Newtown, which is only a few kilometres from the centre of town has a pretty different listing on ACMA. The "likely" in blocks 22 and 23 changes to "possible", and a bunch of block 24 changes from "good" to "likely". ACMA suggests there is less ranges available in Newtown than the CBD. 

North Sydney, a few kilometres in the opposite direction is entirely different again. It only lists channels 27, 34, 45 and 51 as good, which a whole bunch of 'likely', and a chunk of block 22 and all of 23 listed as 'possible'. 

I suppose it raises a pretty good case for wide band transmitters and receivers!