Wireless on the Empire State Building

Arnold F.

Regrettably, I have no experience working at the Empire State Building; I am based in L.A. Billy Saroken would probably be your best source for specific experience with that challenge. Noah Timan would probably also have relevant experiences to share.

I do, however, have a relevant experience working a rooftop with many cell phone antennae. About three years ago I was working a film that had us filming on a roof just off Century Blvd., very near LAX airport. The roof had a small tower bristling with cell antennae. I found the interference to be absolutely overwhelming. Although Location Sound characterized the Fostex PD4 as relatively immune to RF interference, it was swamped with radio signal and would record only gibberish. I thought the recorder was broken; it took me awhile to figure out that the circuits were being overloaded with radio signals.

But an interesting thing happened when I moved to another part of the roof just under the antennae. Suddenly the overwhelming interference went completely away. Even though I was much closer to the source of the interference, I was effectively in the shadow of the transmitted radio signal. The recorder was cured and worked fine and even my radios were fully usable.

So, circumstances permitting, you may be able to use your radios by finding someplace on the roof where you are shielded from direct radio interference. In this case, it is more important that your recorder and receivers be under the broadcast signal than that your transmitters be protected.

David Waelder

I was up there earlier this year...tried to use wireless units in BL 26 and 27 and NO WAY!!!  Had to go cable between mixer and video camera...finally dug out an old VHF wireless to put on the talent and that was OK.  Wasn't using a HD recorder so can't comment on that...

cleve

even if you cable you need to take RF supressors before you go into recorder or camera and probably at the output/input of mixer also. Black audio used to make some good ones.. i might have some left. There are impossible situations, like on military vessels with big radars.  or within 2 blocks of the president  (-any president?)  wolf