Converting true 24P audio to 23.98

JCC

I recorded audio at true 24.

Some of the footage was then altered for another purpose to 23.98 dnxhd for avid. As you can imagine, the workflow for that was stupid - fcp import/convert to dnxhd timeline/spit out to dnxhd qt files.

Anyhew,

I now want to convert my true 24 backup audio to 23.976.

Anybody have a good workflow for that?

I have compressor, fcpx, and a very old version of soundtrack pro.

Would love to do this in fcpx; anybody know how?

Also, any guesses on whether the twain shall sync?

Thank you!

John

Have you thought about using Sound Devices "Wave Agent"?

+1

From what I've heard from many members on here, it seems like Wave Agent should do the trick.

Also, just to be nit-picky, when you say 24p (from the title of this post) isn't that supposed to mean 23.98? ("24p" as opposed to "true" 24fps?)

" you say 24p ... isn't that supposed to mean 23.98? ("24p" as opposed to "true" 24fps?) "

NO, you are mixing apples with bannanas...

in the audio realm, frame rates are only the numbers., the P is not part of the frame rate, it describes another characteristic of the video.

and calling a framerate "true" is not typical. either a frame rate is 24 (24.0000000) or it is not 24, it is something else, like 23.976, --aka 23.98. framerates are typically either integer, or the .1% slower non-integer variations.

OTOH, sometimes non-integer frame rates are incorrectly labeled as their integer consorts.

as to the stated problem, the question is: does the audio need to be pulled down ??

Edited by studiomprd

For me the main question is did you record the audio at 48k Hz sample rate, and do you now need to play it against picture at that rate or at some other rate to get it to sync up. You can make the TC of a file be anything you want it to be, but the speed of playback is determined by the interaction of the sample rate of the file and clock speed of the playback device. You may have to pull down the speed of your file to get it to sync to the picture now, but you also may NOT have to. Testing.

philp