What's your experience with Ambient QX Boompoles?

doublesix

Hi everybody,

I'm soon going to buy my first boompole. Sometime ago I tried an Ambient QX from a local rental company and I liked how it did perform, so I'm thinking about ordering this one.

Can anybody post about their experience with their QX poles? What are the pros and cons of using them?

I'm mainly concerned about stiffness, handling noise and how smooth, durable and reliable the joint connections are. I WON'T be using the pole with an internal cable, and I'm in Europe.

Thanks in advance for the input.

Can the Ambient QX locking collars for each section be set so there's enough friction to stop a rifle mic with Rycote twisting but loose enough so they can be pulled in and out without having to touch the collar? This can be achieved with a VDB but they do require some maintenance.

thanks

I bought mine 10 years ago. Still seems new. VDB pools are a little lighter. (I have one too) Both are perfect.

Can the Ambient QX locking collars for each section be set so there's enough friction to stop a rifle mic with Rycote twisting but loose enough so they can be pulled in and out without having to touch the collar?

Yes.

all other things being equal let's say, the fact you're in Europe should give you some confidence in trying an Ambient pole as the manufacturer's service capabilities within the EU are top-notch,

i own 6 poles and have only had to replace the "constriction rings" on my oldest after 12 years of heavy use, but they arrived literally overnight after just one phone call to Ambient

Ambient poles are heavier, more stable and more susceptible to handling noise than VDBs.

I would not recommend putting a full zep & fur onto a VDB at full length. However, a QX or QP at 5 meters will also bend (and swing!) quite a bit with full wind protection on the mic.

Nothing can beat the old Panamic booms for stability.

I've not tried the QX's but am an avid fan of the QP's. They feel fantastic, and once you get used to them, you can use them without generating handling noise. In 6 years use I've had to replace the top section on my QP480, it cracked slightly, but that was supporting an MS rig at full tilt. All the other parts are working like new. Also 3.5M is quite long for a doco pole, very handy.

Probably on my own here, but I never liked the Panamics, they just feel too chunky and heavy.

Yep Andy in my eyes you are on your own regarding Panamics... well yes they are a little chunky and heavy, but the are the most sturdy and reliable pole I have used.

I don't mind the older Ambient poles - sorry not sure what series - but I always found the top most extension a tad on the overly thin side. This is based on using their longer drama poles.