MPI Health Plan - Premiums for Dependents!

DFL

Not sure if this topic has ben discussed on this forum but I have to vent -

I have been member of IATSE local 695 for the past 7 years. I have paid my quarterly dues on time and have worked hard to accrue my hours to be eligible for my insurance benefits. I recently received a letter from MPI Health Plan stating that as of January 1, 2013, participants will have to pay a premium for their dependents.

"For Participants with 1 dependent, the premium is $25 per month, paid quarterly, semi-annually or annually."

"For Participants with 2 or more dependents, the premium is $50 per month, paid quarterly, semi-annually or annually."

So for someone like me who has two dependents I'm now asked to pay $50 a month (totalling $600/year). I thought the hard work of accruing the hours on union shows was enough to cover my family - apparently not.

My biggest fear is that once we are used to paying for our dependents, the premiums are eventually going to be raised in the future. This is not what I was expecting when I joined the union and paid my expensive initiation fee along with my quarterly dues and accruing hours for benefits.

Not sure how this deal benefits any of our members!

Somene please tell me if I read this letter incorrectly.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure how you missed this detail of the last contract negotiation. Did you read the contract memorandum and/or vote?

This was a HUGE discussion point on this forum, on Facebook, and frankly all over the place.

If you were unaware of the pending premiums, then frankly you have nothing to complain about. It's too late to do anything about it now.

Robert

" has two dependents I'm now asked to pay $50 a month (totalling $600/year) "

a bargain at double that price, and even better if you add a few more dependents...

just curious: did you vote on the contract ??

if you didn't vote, you forfeited your right to complain...

did you vote in favor ?

if so, why ? you don't seem to know what you were voting for.

I understand it's money out of you own pocket, but it is a tiny fraction of what most employees have to pay to receive health insurance of this scope.

The Dental plan has had a co-pay element and no one seems to be rising in anger over that.

The employers have been paying 100% of the funding for many years. Due to the ever increasing cost of healthcare - which will still keep going up when the "Affordable Healthcare Act" is fully in force - and now, is requiring the employee to contribute towards their dependents insurance.

I say get used to it and expect the employer to end the MPHIP by 2016 or so and tell you to get into the Government run plan.

Both private and government entitlements are due for an enormous change in how they will be managed and paid for. We are no longer insulated from the average worker, union or otherwise.

Not arguing with you. Just posting a topic.

And Robert is not arguing with you either, just pointing out that everyone was well aware of this part of the last contract we all voted on which is why a lot of us voted NOT to accept a contract that put a premium payment on our health care coverage. Just like we voted NO in the last contract where the hours to qualify were increased. All of these things are being done by the corporation that is the International, our Labor Union, for the same reasons ALL businesses are cutting back on everything. Our health plan is still one of the best in the nation bug that's very little consolation considering we live in a nation with a pathologically, uncivilized. inhumane and un-conscionable health care system.

I think we are mising the point here. Not your business what I voted on! everyone is entitled to an opinion! your opinion is just as valid as mine. The fact is we are paying more money! We could go on attacking each other personally but that is not the point of the topic.

thanks

" Not your business what I voted on! "

you are right, of course, but the questions were rhetorical, as I pretty much figured you didn't (seem to) realize what is in the new contract, and I personally speculate that you are one of the many, many folks who failed to become informed and then vote!

thus the contract was approved!

and it is still a bargain at double the price!

Edited by studiomprd

I think we are mising the point here. Not your business what I voted on! everyone is entitled to an opinion! your opinion is just as valid as mine. The fact is we are paying more money! We could go on attacking each other personally but that is not the point of the topic.

thanks

My post was simply to illustrate that although you are "shocked" by the letter we all received over the weekend, the time for shock was before the contract was ratified by a "majority" (more of those who chose to vote voted "yes"), and not after.

I am shocked that a union member who values his/her benefits is unaware of the benefits that are being chipped away at during every new contract negotiation.

Robert

You're about 6 months too late to start complaining about this.

On a side note, I find it weird that I've met no one that voted for the contract and yet it passed with flying colors in our local. Makes one wonder, doesn't it?

Sadly, I know several 695 members who voted to ratify, as did most of the other crew on my show.

I voted against the new contract because tearing down and eventually destroying a union is done slowly. Ten years from now the union will be extremely weak and then pretty much disappear because the benefits of joining won't be enough for an individual to pay the initiation fee and the dues.The 400 hour requirement has damaged the life of many members during these trying times.

Be a man or a women and stand up and strike.the producers don't think we will. every so often you need to strike---start saving money for it or stay uninformed and passive and see what happens to your future.

J.D.

I voted against the new contract because tearing down and eventually destroying a union is done slowly. Ten years from now the union will be extremely weak and then pretty much disappear because the benefits of joining won't be enough for an individual to pay the initiation fee and the dues.The 400 hour requirement has damaged the life of many members during these trying times.

Be a man or a women and stand up and strike.the producers don't think we will. every so often you need to strike---start saving money for it or stay uninformed and passive and see what happens to your future.

J.D.

Yeah.

Good luck on that one.

I remember the last strike. And we are now just recovering from it.

I know people who were wiped out because of that strike.

And no, Obamacare will not cause healthcare costs to rise.

Another baseless right wing BS scare tactic.

Actually from the CBO.

The CBO report of July 2012, believes that Obamacare will spend more money, raise more tax revenue, and reduce the deficit less than the agency thought in 2010.

The first chart shows that the cost (i.e spending) has doubled since the first estimate of 2010.

post-273-0-47735600-1354050312_thumb.jpg

The second, shows that Taxes to support the plan have doubled since their first estimate.

post-273-0-49246400-1354050411_thumb.jpg

The third chart points to the claim that Obamacare would reduce the deficit. In 2010, the CBO projected that Obamacare would reduce the deficit by $140 billion from 2013 to 2019. That has dropped to a measly $4 billion.

post-273-0-48320500-1354050743_thumb.jpg

Actually from the CBO.

The CBO report of July 2012, believes that Obamacare will spend more money, raise more tax revenue, and reduce the deficit less than the agency thought in 2010.

The first chart shows that the cost (i.e spending) has doubled since the first estimate of 2010.

post-273-0-47735600-1354050312_thumb.jpg

The second, shows that Taxes to support the plan have doubled since their first estimate.

post-273-0-49246400-1354050411_thumb.jpg

The third chart points to the claim that Obamacare would reduce the deficit. In 2010, the CBO projected that Obamacare would reduce the deficit by $140 billion from 2013 to 2019. That has dropped to a measly $4 billion.

post-273-0-48320500-1354050743_thumb.jpg

All this proves is that CBO projections can't be trusted.

The Republican Party has said tickled own and lower taxes would decrease the fit. Yet it has soared everytime they tried it.

America has the most expensive healthcare cost, proving that a for profit insurance approach DEFINITELY doesn't work.

Time to abandon that model, don't you think?

I think we are mising the point here. Not your business what I voted on!

You seem to be the one missing the point. If you didn't bother to vote for or against the contract as presented then you have very little "skin in the game" and your protests about the increase aren't really valid. If you didn't pay enough attention to the negotiations them, once again, you've got yourself to blame for the obvious shock and surprise you feel about the increase.

Please bear in mind that at $50/month for two kids you're still getting a great deal on their health insurance when compared to the plans that most Americans get. If we had a proper, national, health insurance system then this would be a moot point. If you have friends in Europe (France, Germany or the UK in particular) ask them how they feel about their national systems. People there are, in general, quite happy with them and find the fact that the US doesn't have one to be curious in the extreme.

That is because of the Republican governors (Texas, Nebraska, South Carolina, Louisiana and others) that are opting out of full participation in the AHCA. By denying their residents the benefits of the Act they are no only screwing their own people but folks in other states as well. It's petty, it's political and it's bad for everyone involved.

The real problem has nothing to do with Republicans, Democrats, doctors or businesses. The population is getting older, Americans are incredibly unhealthy (fat) and the rest of the world is catching up (thank you McDonalds), miracle medicine costs fantastic money, and there are fewer young punks to pay into the systems. You don't have to imagine all kinds of nasty people to explain the constantly escalating costs of health care. Remember, 50 years ago you didn't have kidney dialysis (100k/year), MRI machines, (millions), heart transplants, (600k+), hip, knee, shoulder, elbow replacements (100k), so on and so forth. Health care systems all over the world are looking a fiscal cliff in the face, be it French, Greek, Japanese, Canadian or American. Everyone wants to save money until they are in pain or on death's door and then cost is no object. Particularly if some one else is paying for it.

"We have met the enemy and he is us."

Rant over,

Cheers,

Larry F

"According to Transplant Living, the average total cost of a single heart transplant in 2007 was $658,800. This figure includes the cost of obtaining a donor heart, at an average of nearly $90,000, about $23,000 in evaluation fees, $40,000 for doctor's fees, $383,000 in hospital costs, $93,000 in post-operative care, and over $29,000 for immunosuppressive prescription medications. Transplants that involved both a heart and a lung cost an average of $874,800, while heart and kidney combination transplants cost an average of $758,700."

I wish I only paid $600 per year. I pay over $200 per month, and because of the way the health care laws are, coverage in california isn't very good, so there is a big co-pay on just about everything, so I can end up spending a couple of grand over the premium each year anyway. I've seen my health care costs go up and up ever since I've had health insurance. Like Larry said, this isn't a political/us vs. them thing. You also need to take into account that we have some of the most advanced medical technology in the world. My father has to get re-certified every couple of years, and is constantly learning new techniques and new equipment for heart surgery. 10 years ago if you needed bypass surgery they'd filet your leg when harvesting a vein. Now they just scope you, and all you have is a small incision. That kind of tech costs money. The problem with the baby boomer generation is that many of them are on medicare, and medicare only pays a small percentage of a hospital bill. There is nothing the hospital can do. The government dictates to the hospital what it will pay, and that's that, leaving the hospital in the hole. They can't afford to eat that cost, so it gets passed on. What many people fail to realize is that with a single payer system run by the government, there will be a shortage of doctors because hospitals won't be able to afford them. Technology won't advance as quickly because the money isn't coming in. The government isn't going to all of a sudden start paying more money for stuff when they haven't in the past. Just about every medical professional I have talked with (and I know a lot of them) really are afraid of what obamacare is going to do to their jobs and the places they work. I see the advantages of a single payer system, but I also see the disadvantages as well. It's a much more complex issue than I care to get into here, but it's not as simple as tax everyone more to pay for it. It doesn't work that way with the way the US currently is.

Anyway, sorry to go on the tangent. I really wanted to just say that $600 per year for a family is a steal. Most unions that I'd heard about are having to have their members pay some sort of premium for health care these days. The unions can't afford to cover the whole thing.