Oscar Sound Tech TL-40 Lav Pics & Sound Test

Ryan Farber

I just purchased 2 TL40's from OST, and I noticed there weren't a lot of pictures online of them. I have uploaded several close up shots of the mic.

They mic's themselves sound great, I haven't really tested them in the field yet however. The capsule itself is slightly larger than the B6, about a 3mm diameter. The only downside I see is the relatively thick cable. They cable is also fairly noisy as well.

Here are some sound tests. Recorded through Sennheiser G3 Lavs, into a 442, into a Tascam DR-40 Recorder.

Sound Test

Sweet Spot Test

post-4792-0-68202600-1354001828_thumb.jp

post-4792-0-81350100-1354001901_thumb.jp

post-4792-0-35718500-1354001920_thumb.jp

post-4792-0-67850700-1354001933_thumb.jp

post-4792-0-55062900-1354001950_thumb.jp

post-4792-0-80618900-1354001976_thumb.jp

post-4792-0-26417500-1354001992_thumb.jp

post-4792-0-04161400-1354002008_thumb.jp

I got 4 of those and they perform quite well yes but the major downside for me is that they break pretty easy close to the capsule when you take the metal windscreen off. The service from the company is great. They repaired mine for free. They fit with cos 11 s accessories.

I like them too. I own four of them myself. The metal windscreen they sell for it fits too tight so I can understand why you'd have that issue. I gave up on the metal screens for that reason.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Has anyone here been able to compare the TL-40's to the MM Audio's MM-PSM-L lav?

http://microphonemadness.com/products/mmpsml.htm

I already have 4 of the MM-PSM-L's wired for Lectrosonics and am reasonably happy with them, however I do wish they were just a little "brighter" sounding. I'd like to buy a few more for use with some G3's and am debating whether to go again with MM Audio or Oscar Sound Tech.

Tom

will be getting one of these one of these days

I'd like to buy a few more

nice sounding lav, now I want one

I just purchased some Tram lavs, but I'm getting these next!

I'm actually thinking of buying some apples tomorrow. About a kilo I guess. And maybe I'll go crazy and get some kiwis too. Four of them. Hell, make it five.

*smileythatyawns*

I just ordered a pair of TL40 w/vampire clips and metal screens from Dave at OST..getting them wired for Sennheiser G3. I am trying them out based on the good reviews from others here on JWSound. I like supporting small business when possible and appreciate their personal service. Cant wait to hear them!

Alistair

Jim I wonder if Mike suffered a traumatic experience as a child, or perhaps a family tragedy, divorce or is a user of illegal substances. Maybe this is what causes the diaherra of the mouth.

Perhaps one day we will know the answers.

David

Wow maybe a producer would warrants this, but a fellow soundie...ouch

I love my TL40s

Any thoughts on the noise floor on these mics? The web site just says "Very low inherent noise" but does not actually list any figures. Has any one been able to notice much of a difference in the self noise of these to something like a COS-11?

I was also looking at the MM-PSM-L which is listed as having "Equivalent Noise: 32 dba"; seems a little high to me for anything quiet/sensitive...

Any thoughts or real world experiences?

Any thoughts on the noise floor on these mics? The web site just says "Very low inherent noise" but does not actually list any figures. Has any one been able to notice much of a difference in the self noise of these to something like a COS-11?

I was also looking at the MM-PSM-L which is listed as having "Equivalent Noise: 32 dba"; seems a little high to me for anything quiet/sensitive...

Any thoughts or real world experiences?

Using them with Zaxcom, compared to Cos-11D the noise floor seems about the same.

• 1 year later...

Based on your great reviews here on JWSound i ordered four TL-40 with vampire clips to use with Sennheiser G3 and replace ME2.

Waiting to receive them in Portugal, Im planning in using them in a portuguese feature film next month.

What do you guys think its the best solution to conceal the TL-40 under the clothes and avoid noises?

I have read here in JWSound about the Sanken RM-11,  DPA DMM0009 concealer, Vampire Clip, Rycote undercovers and oversovers and moleskin solutions.

Any real world experiences?

Based on your great reviews here on JWSound i ordered four TL-40 with vampire clips to use with Sennheiser G3 and replace ME2.

Waiting to receive them in Portugal, Im planning in using them in a portuguese feature film next month.

What do you guys think its the best solution to conceal the TL-40 under the clothes and avoid noises?

I have read here in JWSound about the Sanken RM-11,  DPA DMM0009 concealer, Vampire Clip, Rycote undercovers and oversovers and moleskin solutions.

They work with all sanken accessories, i personally use them with the RM-11 

As for any other lav, all these work, depending on the situation. The concealer is what I mostly use on interiors, though the TL40 cable is a bit thicker than the DPA cable, and overcovers for exteriors.