Sound Devices Price Increases - Effective Immediately

AudioSheik

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SD did what any other company would do. They say a huge demand for a very limited supply.... so they took advantage of it. Now, why they also raised prices for their industry-standard models that are many many years old now, is unclear. Maybe its just the change of times/inflation.

I'll continue to purse the 664, since I was already invoiced at the old price. Hopefully this doesn't complicate things down the road.

All of a sudden I'm the baddy ;)

Is it not true, that some Nomad models bought 6 months ago is now not in production? Yes it is true, the model range had changed, surely you can't argue with that, no matter how much you love Zaxcom.

I suppose *technically* my Nomad 6 is no longer sold, but a phone call to Zaxcom and $150 makes my 6 the Nomad 10 with a simple unlock code. I don't see how I could be anything but happy about that?

There is something to be learned though. People were PISSED when Zaxcom lowered prices, and other people are PISSED now that Sound Devices raised prices. I think the lesson is to do whatever is best for the company, because people are always going to complain.

I'm sure Sound Devices has a good reason for this (that they don't need to share with anyone). No matter your preference, the Nomad has definitely created a different kind of competition for the company, so I am sure they thought long and hard about the price increase. Let's be real, if they had to do it to keep things running well and workers well paid, great! If they had to do it to invest in new R&D, great! If they are expanding, great! I doubt it's because somebody wants to buy a shiny new car.

" I think congress, and most government workers, get 3% a year. "

our shobiz unions have made 2% the new 3%...

Somebody posted that Sound Devices prices on some products have been in place for 7 years. There wasn't a 552, 664 or 788 7 years ago, but arguably...... 2% x 7 years is 14% which is about what they increased. In reality, everyone that bought something in the last few years should be doing cartwheels because they dodged the inflation wave.

Is it not true, that some Nomad models bought 6 months ago is now not in production?

It is NOT true.

Zaxcom essentially added two new models to the Nomad line to respond to the demand for more tracks but none of the other models were officially discontinued. If you wanted to purchase a Nomad 4 you could definitely order one - though I am not sure why you would want to do that because for less than $100 more you can get a 10 track recorder versus a 4 track.

And Zaxcom made it possible that anyone who purchased a 4 or an 8 could upgrade for just the difference in price.

Somebody posted that Sound Devices prices on some products have been in place for 7 years. There wasn't a 552, 664 or 788 7 years ago, but arguably...... 2% x 7 years is 14% which is about what they increased.

The interesting thing to me is that the machines are apparently selling so well, they can actually go up in price. I'd presume that this is a testament to how well Sound Devices must be doing these days.