Zaxcom TRX942

Timlin

Hi all

I'm contemplating the TRX942 for use on future dramas/features and I'm curious about users opinions on the unit.

The "wireless" boom operator concept just makes so much sense these days!

What RX unit are people using/recommending with the 942, and are people using the IFB option as a primary comms to the boom op?

Disregarding costs for a minute here, but would a Letro butt-plug to an SR RX unit and then a Letro IFB unit for boom op monitoring achieve the same/similar results?

I'd really appreciate opinions/thoughts on the options on this matter!

Rgd's

Andrew

I don't own a 942, but I do own a 742 plug-on transmitter. The audio quality is fantastic, battery life not so fantastic, but I can live with it. I don't care for the battery system of the 942 - too specialized to be commonly found and requires it's own unique charger.

I highly recommend a QRX100Q receiver with IFB Option. It's the newest receiver, can receive from two transmitters, has AES out if you want to go all digital, and is at the same base price as the RX900. With the IFB Option it's more expensive, but you gain Zaxnet features and the ability to send/receive secondary audio, view and change the tx gain and frequency, etc.

A Lectrosonics UH400a plug-on and R1a IFB system is very good too. Highly reliable, better battery life in the tx, although still not great. The audio quality is good and the limiters are fantastic. Lower battery life with a R1a IFB receiver than the comparable Zaxcom ERX IFB receiver, but arguably better range without an amplified antenna system. With the 942 you don't need a separate IFB and the boom op has better control and options when it comes to monitoring.

You'll experience similar reception between the SR and QRX receivers with whip antennas.

Mark O.

Mark

Thanks for the advice!

I have a QRX, I use it exclusively as a camera hop/link - I recently upgraded it to include the IFB option and it was the best money I've ever spent. Theres something very satisfying about the return audio aspect!

The 942 offers all sorts of wonderful options and ideas, but that battery system is a probable deal-breaker for me, plus at $3k per-unit, and the need for another QRX or similar, I'm kinda thinking twice now... Still, I must stand and applaud Zaxcom for their designs and philosophies behind their equipment!

If the 942 was capable of running on AA's or 2 x 9 volt consumer batteries then I'd probably be prepared to overlook the costs...

Take care...

Rgd's

Andrew

" If the 942 was capable of running on AA's or 2 x 9 volt consumer batteries then I'd probably be prepared to overlook the costs... "

but it doesn't.

Senator

Really?

Gee, thanks for yet another one of your eloquently considered sarcastic answers... as predictably as ever, and you never fail to deliver on this, you manage to contribute absolutely nothing worth noting on the subject.

You have nothing better to do?

Rgd's

Andrew

Actually, Senator does not really participate here anymore, it is all automated. Whenever anyone posts anything, Senator has some proprietary software that randomly posts one of the hundreds of short (limited to 12 characters) responses that the software deems appropriate and relevant. Unfortunately, the software is not smart enough to know that none of the comments are appropriate, relevant or even desirable, but it posts them anyway.

The proprietary battery system in the 992/942 is a bit of a pain, but I prefer it to the earlier models that used 4 AA's. The battery life is excellent (approx 8+ hours) and it's a quick change system. I keep a charger on my cart and my guys change batteries once a day at lunch time. For run and gun days, just buy a few extra batteries.

Billy Sarokin

Actually, Senator does not really participate here anymore, it is all automated. Whenever anyone posts anything, Senator has some proprietary software that randomly posts one of the hundreds of short (limited to 12 characters) responses that the software deems appropriate and relevant. Unfortunately, the software is not smart enough to know that none of the comments are appropriate, relevant or even desirable, but it posts them anyway.

Awesome

Lol

Mr Wexler

I wish I'd written that!

Delicious!

Rgd's

Andrew