Zaxcom TRX942

Timlin

Hi all

I'm contemplating the TRX942 for use on future dramas/features and I'm curious about users opinions on the unit.

The "wireless" boom operator concept just makes so much sense these days!

What RX unit are people using/recommending with the 942, and are people using the IFB option as a primary comms to the boom op?

Disregarding costs for a minute here, but would a Letro butt-plug to an SR RX unit and then a Letro IFB unit for boom op monitoring achieve the same/similar results?

I'd really appreciate opinions/thoughts on the options on this matter!

Rgd's

Andrew

I use 2 of the 942 tranceivers. You can use any of the Zaxcom receivers, though the QRX receiver also has a built in Zaxnet transmitter. If you use the other receivers you should also use a separate Zaxcom IFB transmitter. The 942 is fully digital, has long battery life (6-8 hours), can be remote controlled via Zaxnet (you can remotely control gain, frequency and the built in recorder), it has a built in mixer so the boom operator can monitor either his mic directly, the return ifb feed, or a combination of both. It receives and generates time code and has a built in recorder, so it can be it's own independent recorder if necessary. It also provides 48v phantom power and the newer versions also accept digital inputs for use with the new generation of digital mics (such as the Schoeps super CMIT).

Billy Sarokin

Hi all

I'm contemplating the TRX942 for use on future dramas/features and I'm curious about users opinions on the unit.

The "wireless" boom operator concept just makes so much sense these days!

What RX unit are people using/recommending with the 942, and are people using the IFB option as a primary comms to the boom op?

Disregarding costs for a minute here, but would a Letro butt-plug to an SR RX unit and then a Letro IFB unit for boom op monitoring achieve the same/similar results?

I'd really appreciate opinions/thoughts on the options on this matter!

Rgd's

Andrew

Andrew

With the above setup you will have wireless boom with monitor but that's it. So, "similar result" to a Zaxcom 942 setup --- not really. Billy's description of the 942 pretty much spells it out.

We did a review of the Zaxcom 992 system for the 695 Quarterly. That was two years ago, before the upgrade to the 994 system with the ability to use digital microphones. Also, Zaxcom has made refinements in the implementation of their 2.4 GHz IFB system so some of the review has become a bit dated. But it's still a useful reference.

You'll find it here:

http://695quarterly.com/previous-issues/

The Winter 2010 edition.

David

I use the TRX742 and loving it so far. 1 minor issue is battery life, 2nd more major issue is poor placement of the micro SD card. Haven't had a chance to fully flex its muscles, but for light OTF, has been working great. Next year, a pair will be used for a full feature application. The TRX942 should be the same performance-wise, but locks the placement of the TX in the belt position, so I couldn't use it at the end of a boom pole if for some reason that was more appropriate. Also, coms with my op(s) would be dependent on them having 942 on their body, so would rule out using a boom in a planted position without loosing coms to my op. I really like the idea of an completely integrated Tx/Com unit, but ultimately, on a fast paced set, to have the boom Tx (or plant mic) separate from the coms gear allows more flexibility. I'm also turned off by the electric drill style battery pack of the 942, I'm doing pretty good so far by my new mantra of "only buy gear that uses AA".

Tom - what mics are you using with the 742? I´m thinking of buying one but there are so many users with RFI into their mics. And I wanna have the TRX directly on top of the pole next to the mic. Like with my TRX700 and CMITs. That combo works pretty good. Could use some more gain (I´m almost always on max 35).

Changing the cone - how quickly is that done? Usable on set or just prior to a shoot?

Matthias

I don't know about changing cones, dabbled with the idea of using the digital module, but ultimately just decided to do analog mono cone as presumably the A/D and DSP signal chain would most closely match the TRX900LT, to minimize phase offset.

Mics I use are MKH8050/60 and soon will be adding an 8070. For OTF, lack of low rolloff hasn't been an issue, but once they start swinging with ops, I'd rather have a HPF at the mic rather than doing it back at my mixer, so I can take care of the first stage of rumble at the source, then use my filters at the mixer in a more qualitative manner. I hope that this is something that can be added via software, as the current firmware doesn't allow any filters at all.

**once I get my Yamaha board and dialed in, may rethink the AES42 option since I can further adjust phase delay via the Yamaha's built in delay DSP, but one of the reasons I'm sticking with the 8000 series, not only do I like them a lot, but in the back of my mind know that it allows the flexibility of using AES42 if I decide to go that way**

my crew like using the trx742 because my boom op likes leaving the boom close to set and keep monitoring via his erx ifb when he is away from set. you would need a separate erx to do the same thing with a 942. the 742 is presently the only zaxcom transmitter with never clip. we had a chance to record gunfire the first week I had it and it performed like a champ. lack of never clip on the 942 would keep me away from it until it's added. like tom, I use it with the mkh8050/8060 microphones. I have used it daily for three months and found it very reliable. I use an areitec pico48 for second boom, but this setup suffers from lack of never clip, if there is a situation where it would help. I look forward to zaxcom adding never clip to their other transmitters as well.

ao

A good discussion of rf spill from the 742 is here: http://www.zaxcom.com/forum/showthread.php?16787-Trx-742-rf-spill

I definitely see the advantage of a separate tx and IFB. A pole-mounted tx is very convenient and the ability to walk away without having to unplug the pole and still hearing the set and sound mixer is a big plus. And I really don't want another battery system.

Mark O.

TRX742 is a design that I worked on for a long time. The mechanical is solid and tight. It draws a lot of battery power due to its 125mW RF power output. Extra power is also used in the 4 channel A-D converter that has the best dynamic range of any of our transmitters.

It was designed to go on the fat end of the boom pole not directly on the mic. Some mics are RF sensitive and if they are the RF 125mW output will demonstrate it very effectively.

On the plus side nothing wireless on a boom pole will have the audio performance of the TRX742. The operating distance is also crazy good.

TRX942 is a different animal and a great product in its own way.

Glenn

All

Thanks for the advice!

I have a QRX that I use exclusively as a camera hop/link - I recently upgraded it to include the IFB option and it was the best money I've ever spent. Theres something very satisfying about the return audio aspect!

The 942 offers all sorts of wonderful options and ideas, but that battery system is a probable deal-breaker for me, plus at $3k per-unit, and the need for another QRX or similar, I'm kinda thinking twice now... Still, I must stand and applaud Glenn/Zaxcom for their designs and philosophies behind their equipment!

If the 942 was capable of running on AA's or 2 x 9 volt consumer batteries then I'd probably be prepared to overlook the costs...

Take care...

Rgd's

Andrew

TRX742 is a design that I worked on for a long time. The mechanical is solid and tight.

Glenn

would have been ever better if the XLR connector got a locking mechanism like on the Sennheiser SKP. My TRX700 needs support (velcro) on one side or I´ll get some rumbling noise.

It was designed to go on the fat end of the boom pole not directly on the mic. Some mics are RF sensitive and if they are the RF 125mW output will demonstrate it very effectively.

Glenn

will the TRX742 work with a CMIT and Schoeps CMC6 right next to each other? The TRX700 does and I would love to get a 742 because of Zaxnet and NeverClip for my main signal.

Matthias

The 942 offers all sorts of wonderful options and ideas, but that battery system is a probable deal-breaker for me, plus at $3k per-unit, and the need for another QRX or similar, I'm kinda thinking twice now...

I'm surprised to see the discussion turn this way. When I was testing the unit, I found the battery system to be one of the particular pluses of the unit. Wireless boom systems typically require the sound crew to monitor two or three different batteries, one each for transmitter, phantom power and IFB receiver. Two of those batteries, transmitter and phantom power, directly effect system performance. The whole system is compromised if one of those cells drifts into low capacity. Powering gear from multiple sources increases the likelihood of inadvertent battery failure.

The Zaxcom 992/942 system uses a single rechargeable battery for phantom power, preamp and transmitter. It has substantial capacity and is designed for quick exchange. We found that it was possible, with reasonable conservation technique, to work an entire day on one battery and still have capacity left. If the battery were changed out at lunch, one could leave the system on at all times and still be very confident of good power and stable operation.

As to Neverclip, it wasn't developed at the time I made the evaluation. But I had people whispering and screaming in the same shot and I never overloaded it.

It is an expensive system and there are other configurations that produce excellent results at less cost. But, if I were working big features or had steady work on a TV series, this is the system I would want.

David

• 1 year later...