Rain Gear for bag rigs

Rob Lewis

Hi

Must say that being in Sydney, Australia, at the end (???) (hopefully) of one of the longest droughts in recorded history that having to worry about wet weather cover almost did my head in. After not really having to worry for the past 10 years - rain my current job (a 16 weeker) with loads of exteriors is a daily  worry.

On the first day of production, in the middle of a semi-tropical downpour, my custom rig sprung a leak on a seam and put my 442 out of action. A quick swap to my SD 3 channel backup got the job finished and the sound assist and I pulled the 442 apart and dried it out with make-ups spare hair drier (Thanks to the wet weather it now lives permanently in the sound dept).

As it's mostly showers (not torrental downpours) and the start of summer I've been a bit reluctant to pull out the full poncho with clear cutout. Got on the net after finishing the agreed 13 hour day (plus 1  1/2 hour travel time) - spent some quality time with the little lady and the little people and did a spot of midnight shopping online. A few hundred dollars later - proud owner of small Petrol bag (for light weight rig) and the PERC wet weather cover.

Apart for some members of the crew referring to it as my masonic apron (and pass the ritual goat jokes aside) I have to say it's been great for the "occasional show" the weather boys call up. I can squeeze it into my bum bag if the weather looks dodgy and keep the 442 and the Zaxcom running.

Love to hear if anyone has other suggestions.

As an aside, for those weather watchers, we're expecting our 1st tropical cyclone of the year in the next few days (in the top end,  not in Sydney) -- but the storm front is expected to run from South Australia (bottom bit towards the Southern Ocean and Antarctica) right up through Sydney to the Northern Territory (Darwin) - canoe distance from Indonesia. "Intense micro bursts" are expected anywhere inbetween - they give you 25-50mm (2/3 to 1 1/2 in) rain in 10 minutes along with hail stones the size of baseballs.

Hope Xmas weather is looking better where ever you are.

Thanks for the forum

Chris B

I got jealous of the speed with which the camera department dealt with the their raincover, so I had something custom made by KT Systems UK, a kind of giant elasticated showercap with a transparent top and armholes and an adjustable Velcro strap, which is fast, effective, and compact. The trouble I've had with the Petrol one is that the shower curtain transparent material gets too brittle and cracks easily in subzero temperatures (keeping out spindrift), I had to throw one away for this reason. Whereas I've just used my custom made one in -25C (partly to keep some heat in rather than spindrift out) and it was fine, it went quite hard but didn't crack, so not all shower curtain material is equal in this respect, but I don't suppose manufacturers consider anyone taking a shower at -25C!

Frankly, I keep several of the cheap, $1USD rain ponchos for use in a hurry!!!  Keeps me dry, the bag on my shoulder dry, arm holes to keep working, etc.  When the rain quits, I simply throw it away.  They have survived several dashes into the vehicle, and out again.  Yea, it makes things a bit warm, but usually not for long!!!  I have been standing there with no complaints or problems due to rain, when the camera folks call it quits!!!

cleve

I got jealous of the speed with which the camera department dealt with the their raincover, so I had something custom made by KT Systems UK, a kind of giant elasticated showercap with a transparent top and armholes and an adjustable Velcro strap, which is fast, effective, and compact.

Any chance you could post a photo of your custom creation?  And perhaps the contact with the manufacturer?  If it's what some of us need, perhaps they could make a run of them for us.  Or, GT might add it to the list of Remote Audio items that we have all grown to love and purchase (frequently).

~PWP

www.palmeraudio.net