New TC-box from Betso

DjGo

The engineers at Complete Post/Technicolor explained to me that timecode alone will work with one camera. With multiple cameras, the risk is that the timecode phase will drift slightly -- at a sub-frame level -- so that it's not precisely lined up with the first line of video. You might compare this to two pieces of film that get 1 sprocket hole out of sync. They're almost in sync, but still out about 1/96th of a second (1 quarter of a frame), which is extremely noticeable. Only with genlock reference (i.e., video sync) will everything be in absolute sync.

When timecode phase starts drifting a little tiny bit, what happens is that some timecode-reading gear gets "confused" and will flip over to the previous frame number or the following frame number. As a result, you get multiple cameras and sound that occasionally and unpredictably go out 1 frame, depending on where the drift leans. If there's absolutely precise video sync and timecode reference, this will never happened.

I know of a very famous recent 3D horror film that did not use genlock and timecode reference, and it wasn't noticed until the 11th hour, when the film was conformed and checked. The slight sync error caused massive 3D issues, causing preview audiences to get sick. I believe five or six technicians working 20 hours a day for about 5 days straight had to be employed to make manual changes (at a six-figure expense) to fix the problem. If they had just used proper reference on all cameras, this would have saved them about $150,000 at the end. But that was a "picture problem," not sound per se.

But for one-camera shoots, just timecode alone will work OK. I have some experience with the C300 and none with the C500 yet, but what I don't like is that the camera is teeny-tiny and there's no room to bolt anything on it. It's like a very big DSLR. I have no clue how stable it is with longterm timecode jamming; I've used it in both external and in jam modes, and I was told by post that sound was perfect all day.

Many thanks for that clear explaination

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

by the way on small camera and DSLR ,i often use the camera mouting accesories given with the G3 system with a bit of velcro, works well , no complain so far from any cam op's..

Last shoot on 2 C300 i had an SB-T and a G3 or 2020 Rx on each one, no problems..

by the way on small camera and DSLR ,i often use the camera mouting accesories given with the G3 system with a bit of velcro, works well , no complain so far from any cam op's..

Your guys must be nicer than the DPs I deal with! They all grouse and frown when I bring over my boxes to clamp onto their rigs. "Oh, great... now we have to figure out where to put this extra dead weight."

Last shoot on 2 C300 i had an SB-T and a G3 or 2020 Rx on each one, no problems..

That's clever.. i have some hotshoe-brackets lying around.. DP is a very friendly guy and knows what is needed on this shoot so he doesn't complain about extra weight on the camera.. he is also very aware of the physical restrictions of the C300-body mount-wise.

I have done some timecode testing with the Sony F3 as well as with the Canon C300.

I used my Ambient Masterclock/controller ACC 101, and a Ambient ACL202 lockit on the Camera.

With the ACC101 controller you can see very small timecode offsets between the masterclock and the slave timecode.

I found that WITHOUT connecting video sync both Cameras slaved perfectly, if left alone. But after switching on/off, changing speed or changing Battery etc. there was always a small offset in the timecode.

Say half a frame back, or whatever. (Though always less than a frame). And off course, these offsets add up.

When using WITH video Sync connected (the Camera genlocked to the Lockit), the camera stays perfectly sync, whatever I did with the Camera.

As You don’t want to Eagle Eye the camera all day for Battery changes etc., I think Video Sync is a must for these Camera’s…..

Gertjan.

Without Genlock Tri-Level sync from the external TC source the sync can vary plus or minus 1 frame on every shot.

It could be right on or it could be off by 1 frame. Since without genlock, the sequence is:

1 Operator hits record button

2 Camera opens file and starts capturing video frame based on its own crystal

3 it Jams the TC Clock from the external TC input

Since there is no direct relationship between the frame transition on the external TC source and the internal camera frame start, the External TC clock could be very close to the end of the frame when the Camera Grabs the TC number from what is essentially the previous frame by the time the recording starts.. This plus or minus 1 frame sync error can be pretty hard to see unless you are syncing 2 visual images or Trying to mix 2 seperatly synced audio sources. Since it can vary every time you hit the record button it can be very elusive. Now you see it, now you don't.

" the risk is that the timecode phase will drift slightly -- at a sub-frame level -- so that it's not precisely lined up with the first line of video. "

While I can appreciate this for the dual camera 3D rigs, I have found in most cases for typical multiple camera editing in post, that the sub-frame accuracy is not actually an issue...

OTOH, it (genlock) couldn't hurt!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so we've got:

1) Betso TCXS Transceivers - 2 for $575

2) Ambient TC-TRXA - 2 for $712

3) Betso SBOX-1 - 2 for $1290

4) Time Code Buddy - 2 for $1425 (sync)

5) Ambient ACN-TL - 2 for $1740

6) Ambient ACL 204 - 2 for $2320 (sync)

Did I miss a wireless option? Which and why? Why not? The price discrepancies are pretty large, and I'm sure it's feature related, but which do we all think is the best bang for the buck (including prospective quality/reliability)?

Brian

I think the most affordable option is not wireless, simply going with jammable TCXO boxes like the Ambient Lockit or the Denecke SB-T (or the lower-priced options made by both companies).

Wireless does not make the product any better but it makes life a lot easier, I suppose it comes down to budget like Marc said or how lazy you are.

Timecode buddy for me has been great

Has WC, does not have TriLevel. So was it decided we didn't need sync anymore?

philp

Possibly power consumption considerations, off the shelf genlockable integrated circuits squirting out tri level consume a lot of power, so the battery life might be 1/10th

Possibly power consumption considerations, off the shelf genlockable integrated circuits squirting out tri level consume a lot of power, so the battery life might be 1/10th

Naaa, I get a minimum of 3-4 days out of an SB-T using three lithium AA's. $5 to run a box like this for 4 days is not a big deal to me, especially if the production is paying for it (which they should).

Just do what I do. Have a bunch of options. I own two SB3's, two ERX2TCD's, Lectro D4 (I can send a mix plus wireless timecode to camera) Betso Timecode display, blackbox wireless timecode and a Denecke Slate.

Mmfff... you don't even have an ACL204 or a TimecodeBuddy ?

What is that ?

I'm really deceived Justan, I thought you'd be more prepared than that...

:D :D :D :D

• 2 months later...

Old topic but i just saw this info with the Betso sbox 1 

BETSO SBOX-1 is a really small, compact, self powered solution for reading/generating/jamming to any common frame rate including 0.5 (11.998, 12, 12.5,...) and 2 (48, 50, 60,...) multiples.

so this box will does high frame rates as well, anyone any thoughts on this ?

i recall two projects discussed here before which the audio recorder still using 23.98 or 24 for the HFR film, are we all going to need to update our recorder and lockit in a near future ?