Using older mikes

jacquesstar

So my two main wireless mikes that I use most of the time consist of UCR411a receivers with SMV transmitters, which I use either when I'm mixing and doing location sound or shooting gigs where I am a one man band and I have to run audio straight to camera.

But, a week ago, I was shooting some interviews and the client didn't have the budget for a sound mixer, so I built my own little interview kit. I didn't even bother with the 411a's, instead, I used a Sennheiser G3 into XLR channel 1 of my mix Pre D, a Boom into channel two, and hooked up an old Lectro CR187 reciever into channel 3 via the tape return of the mix pre. I use the 187 receiver this way, because there is a convenient volume knob on the receiver so that I can conrol the levels more quickly easily rather than going into the menu of a Sennheiser or Lectro 411 to change the levels. This setup was much more convenient and user friendly since I had to run camera and audio at the same time during the interviews. Plus, things were constantly changing between people, such as two lavs during one interview, or a boom and a lav on the next one, etc, so it was faster to keep everything hooked up and just turning down a pot or turning off a receiver for a mike I didn't need at the time.

Needless to say, the old CR187 worked flawlessly, clear as a bell with no RF. It's on an old military frequency, and it still comes in handy. Feels good to have old gear still make me money and give me good sound. Does anyone else around here still use older wireless mikes?

That's good to hear. At one point I almost bought an older Lectro plug-on. I would get the occasional request for a wireless stick mic, and I could have paid for one of those with just a few jobs. They are plentiful on eBay, and on those jobs, you are usually pretty close to the reporter anyway.

Still hanging on to a 195, partly because of the headphone out on the Rx. I give it to sound conscious directors for a much better feed. The rest get a Comtek.

Yes, I definitely like the headphones jack as well. I am thinking about getting a mini XLR to TA5 cable so that I can run the unbalanced mike out of my Sounddevices into the M187, and use the receiver as an IFB.

I used a 185 and Shure SM 61 on the red carpet at the premiere of The Hobbit, with my boom on the other channel..there were over a 100 radio mics in operation and a coordinator running up and down the red carpet sorting frequencies..I didn't bother to get the 185 checked...no one else there...worked great.

BVS