Sonosax SX-R4: record buffer pitched up

Arnoud Traa

Hi everyone,

First of all let me introduce myself. I'm Arnoud Traa a sound designer/recordist from the Netherlands.

I've been checking this forum for quite a while, too inform myself about new and older recorders and mic's.

Recently I took the plunge and bought a second hand Sonosax SX-R4 to finally have a recorder that allows me

to record 4 tracks with nice (really nice) preamps. I've been recording a lot and am very happy with it!

But there seems to be a small issue with writing the record buffer in takes. Sometimes it's pitched up for the

first few seconds, as if the sample rate has been changed or someting. I've only recorded in 96/24, so I'll check

if it also happens in 48/24. But maybe this is common issue with the current firmware 4.2.437

Anyone here who knows what could be the source of this issue?

Thanks in advance!

Arnoud Traa

Wow, never heard of this sort of thing happening --- sample rate change on startup which causes a pitch change, and this is an audible event, right? Very weird. Seems like it must be a math problem, software, because of the 96K sample rate. Please let us know the outcome when you discover the reason for this. I do not have personal experience with the Sonosax unit but I am still quite curious.

I have not had that experience. However, i never record at 96k.

Detail everything about your setup, maybe there is a glitch in the code with your specific setup. Sonosax has a small beta testing field, all combinations of recording parameters may not have been tested.

There have been some " math" problems with the R4 metadata that they addressed once it was clear what circumstance caused it.

Hi, and welcome...

questions like this are often best directed to the manufacturer of the gear in question...

@Mike: you're right, but I also wanted to know if this is a common issue :)

@Richard: Thanks for checking your sxr4 in 96K, eager to find out if you have the same issue!

Are you also happy with your recorder? How does the sound compare to the sxm32 (the mixer..)

@John: thanks for the tip, I'll be very detailed :) And I will ask if I can join the beta testers.

Thanks for your replies, I'll keep adding info if I get anything.

Arnoud

Hi All,

Update: it's not broken! :)

I've checked all my recordings and noticed a pattern in the occurrence of the issue.

It turns out that it only happens when I start up the machine and immediately go into record.

This is fairly common when I'm walking around an interesting site to listen for nice ambiences.

Sometimes I move to a new space and I hear great sound, but the recorder wasn't on anymore.

It shuts down after a while, to save batteries. So I boot it up and start recording. That's when it

happens..

It's not a great 'feature', but in these situations the record buffer wasn't that long anyway (maybe a half second).

This accounts for the short duration of the pitched sound.

I had already sent an email to sonosax, no reply as of yet, and will sent them my findings asap.

Thanks for your replies!

Arnoud

Thanks Arnoud, tried a couple of takes at 96 and they were fine. Not straight from startup though.

As far as I can tell the m32 an r4 sound the same, although the m32 gives you more options with gain and hpf control

Also the headphone amp doesn't sound rubbish when you hit the limiter on the m32, which is a bit scary on the R4 (although it sounds fine on playback on computer).

I think the headphone distortion issue depends on the impedance of your cans. I'm using 63ohm sony 7506's and it didn't happen on my 600ohm Beyer DT440's.

Also I've heard a few people have had issues with a high pitched sound when running external power. I switched to a regulated distributor, which seemed to solve the problem but had it come back yesterday (without changing anything). Switched to the unregulated output and it was fine...