RPSharman

After a stunt with dialog...

Director - "Great. Moving on."

B Operator - "Have to go again! Caught a boom."

Director - "It's fine. We have pieces."

B Operator - "Well it was also out of focus."

A Operator - "And we might have caught B camera in A camera."

AD - "I guess we should go again."

I'm not convinced the boom was in. But I suppose it could have been.

Play it back- let them prove it. Sounds like they did not get the take

I'm reminded of what lawyers say, "Never ask a question you don't already know the answer to."

I am nowhere near 100% sure the mic wasn't in. But I am 100% sure that if it was, the composition would have sucked.

" Talking about being thrown under the bus.... "

nothing new...

I caught a cam op actually tilt up to get the boom, after he messed up...(I asked them to print it, and promised to pay for the print if the boom dipped in, but it didn't the op tilted up and then called 'boom in'...

Edited by studiomprd

I asked for a frame line once where I started out over the subject at about a foot. The DP yells out, "Boom's in." As I raised the boom, he keeps up the chant of "Boom's in" til I hit the ceiling and I look back to see that he had chased my boom and the camera was now pointing up and not even on the subject. Good laugh on him, all respect lost to me.

Scott.....

In all fairness to our operator, he's one of the goid guys. Our departments get along very well. It's probably for this reason he decided to blame my boom operator for what is a rare infraction, as opposed to announcing yet again there were focus issues. That situation is pretty chronic.

I just thought the timing of the post shot dialog was amusing.

These days, it is easy to paint out a little boom in the frame. And one could argue that it would be cheaper and quicker than a reshoot of a stunt.

That is not true if the camera is moving. But if the camera is static, absolutely -- it's 5 minutes to paint out the boom at the top, but the shot also has to be digitally "pinned" in order to stabilize the shot.

I have done slight recompositions in framing to eliminate the boom so many thousands of times, I've lost count. To me, it's the duty of the post mastering engineer to make sure none of those details are visible, especially if we're talking just 1/4" or 1/2".

I was tilted into on purpose as a boom op, and I defended myself. It didn't happen again on that film. And that was film, with no video assist, so it couldn't be proven without a print. But everyone knew what happened.

But these are the games we play sometimes. It was no different than the waiter/cook issues I had working in the restaurant biz when I was younger.

Can't get no respect department part two: starting a 15 day shoot next Friday, all in studio. kids show with 3 characters max. 2 (XD) cams hardwired, me and a boom op plus rfs. OK, I can handle that. got the prep schedule call sheet today for the technical rehearsal on Thursday. No sound crew listed. 5 camera crew called in for a full day of camera setup. sound: nada. insult to injury: sound department not on crew list on the call sheet. Maybe there's something they're not telling me. I'll have a little talk with the PM on Monday.

• 4 weeks later...

Years ago we were doing pickups on Bette Davis' last film.

Father/Son camera team with a blimped Cinema Products 35mm!

Shot was dolly in and boom up.

First take:

"Boom in shot."

Second take:

"Boom in shot."

My boom said "I think he is screwing up his move and tilting up to cover his ass."

I told him to watch the camera and pull up if he saw the camera tilting up.

Take three:

Camera tilts up to reveal green boards.

The glare the DP gave me was priceless!