More on the Future of Film

John Blankenship

I also just saw Hitchcock, shot by Jeff Cronenweth on Red Epic, and thought it looked dynamite. I was saddened by the fact that it's only in two theaters in all of LA, and there were only 6 people in the audience on a Friday night!

I'd say this movie was pretty close to being nomination-worthy; Jeff Cronenweth previously did The Social Network and also Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, also shot on Red.

Note: name correction for Jeff Cronenweth

- jw

Very interesting. Though I would have to say, The Hobbit (Red Epic), The Avengers (Arri Alexa), and Skyfall (also Alexa) were good looking movies shot digitally. To me, it's all about the DP, not about the camera.

+1 Marc,

You are Editors, NOT FCP or AVID technicians.. And you are the Sound Department, Not human C-stands (pushing a button).

-Richard

Thanks for the correction, Jeff. Yes, Jeff C. does good work, and is a good guy, too. Sound mixers, colorists, visual effects people, editors, cinematographers... none of this is "push button" work that works automatically. If anything, there's so many choices that have to be made now, these job are harder than it used to be, just as recording 10 simultaneous microphones is more of a juggling act than recording one boom to a mono Nagra. The client's expectations are far greater than they used to be.

Obviously, coupled with the title of the thread, my posting the link was not intended to in any way imply that shooting on film was what caused them to be nominated. I think the greater takeaway is that several talented cinematographers who have garnered award attention this year chose film as the medium for these particular projects.

I don't know anyone who is savvy about filmmaking who isn't aware that it's ultimately skill that creates a look, not the specific tools the artist chose.

Since we've had other discussions lamenting the decline of film I thought the article would be of interest from that point-of-view.

I would love to see a six hour Tarantino mini-series on HBO.

Tarantino was just interviewed for a solid hour on Howard Stern's radio show last week, and he said several times he didn't want to become one of those old, doddering filmmakers who kept making movies far after his prime. He figures he'll do three more and then retire, and maybe produce some HBO series and write novels.

I'm reading his screenplay for Django Unchained right now, and it's a bloody knockout. (And I do mean bloody.) There's nothing like Tarantino dialogue -- the guy's a master at it.

• 4 weeks later...

Six of the nine films that received "Best Motion Picture of the Year" Oscar nominations this year were shot on film ("Argo" included some digital footage to differentiate the Hollywood scenes from the Iran scenes.):

"Amour" -- Alexa

"Argo" -- 35mm/16mm/8mm/Alexa

"Beasts of the Southern Wild" -- Super 16mm

"Django Unchained" -- 35mm

"Les Miserables" -- 35mm

"Life of Pi" -- Arri Alexa

"Lincoln" -- 35mm

"Silver Linings Playbook" -- 35mm

"Zero Dark Thirty" -- Arri Alexa

Three of the five films that received "Achievement in Cinematography" nominations this year were shot on film:

"Anna Karenina," Seamus McGarvey -- 35mm

"Django Unchained," Robert Richardson -- 35mm

"Life of Pi," Claudio Miranda
 -- Alexa

"Lincoln," Janusz Kaminski -- 35mm

"Skyfall," Roger Deakins -- Alexa (Red on 2nd unit action shots)

(Source: IMDB)

Tarantino was just interviewed for a solid hour on Howard Stern's radio show last week, and he said several times he didn't want to become one of those old, doddering filmmakers who kept making movies far after his prime. He figures he'll do three more and then retire, and maybe produce some HBO series and write novels.

That's a depressing view. I don't think creative filmmakers have a best-before date, as long as they keep trying to develop and investigate new aspects of their trade. I'd be sad to see him go.

• 1 year later...

I'm not convinced the Wall Street Journal story is anything more than wishful thinking. My opinion is that 99% of the industry has already moved on, and that the last few remaining stalwarts who shoot digital will either be esoteric "art projects" or huge-budgeted tentpoles where film stock is not an issue. I think for TV and most features, it's going to stay digital from here on. A huge problem is the absence of film labs... and the word "lab" or "laboratory" doesn't even appear in the article. It doesn't help to use film if it takes days to ship and process it, and the number of choices for lab work in North America and Europe continue to dwindle. 

The real question is whether digital's standards will improve to the point where it can match or exceed the look of film. They're not quite there yet, but getting closer.

Quentin Tarantino is another one who is adamantly against shooting digital, and has gone so far as to say he'd rather just retire rather than be deprived of having the ability to choose Kodak film for his projects.

He'll likely get that chance to retire. There is a single plant making cinema film in the world, and that plant has lost most of it's volume in the last four years. Unless the volume picks up, markedly, Kodak will have to close that plant soon. Possibly late this year, possibly as late as next year.

Photographic color negative film manufacture requires an industrial process, with a bunch of highly trained technicians to run it. It's not a boutique business. You can't coat film by hand (well, of course you can, but the quality is abysmal, and that's just B&W). If anyone's interested, there's a book out by former Kodak employee Robert Shanebrook called Making KODAK Film that details the process (with pictures and illustrations). What Kodak does is audacious. And as an old industrial automation engineer, I've seen audacious in manufacturing. Kodak takes the cake.

I'm just sayin': Do not try this at home.