Rain TS-3 Slate Cover

Sound Grab

I haven't been able to find any info on rain slate covers other than the Modular 51 one ($50).

I'm either looking for a DIY way or perhaps an alternate design. Options are always good!

Just wondering how some of you protect your slates in the rain. I've seen my tc display lose some segments but fixes it self when it dries. I just want to prevent any damage when we're out in the rain.

My memory of working on dailies for the Kevin Costner film The Guardian (which had a huge sea rescue scene that results in tragedy) is that the crew used giant zip-lock bags for the Denecke slates. The timecode was a little bit of a nightmare to read through the rain and wind, but Technicolor's very hip crew did a slate log so that we knew where all the claps would be, so the numbers were secondary. Here's the 5-gallon bags on Amazon, $1 apiece:

http://www.amazon.com/Ziploc-Double-Zipper-Large-5-Count/dp/B003U6A3C6

On a digital production, one hopes the cameras and sound department would have identical code, so syncing would be a piece of cake. Actually, hearing the clap over the wind machines is probably the toughest part. "What could happen...?"