Doco in the amazon

JDirckze

I'll be heading to Venezuela in the new year, and most likely into the jungles for one of those crazy Nat Geo shoots. Just wandering if anyone here had any experiences working in the amazon, any tips on protecting the gear etc. Also, any general travel tips? This will be my first time in South America.

Fairly standard kit: PSC Alphamix, 411/400 Lectros, MKH416 etc - probably overkill as it will most likely end up being all boom work. We are hunting giant tarantulas.

Any help appreciated!

Jason

Have you checked about using wireless there? If the shoot gets funding (I'll find out soon), there is a doc in Chile that I'll be going on, but I wasn't planning on taking my wireless at all do to all the hassles and restrictions.

Wayne

wayne,

what restrictions and hassles are out there in chile??  sounds like you to should freq. coord between one another??

I'll be heading to Venezuela in the new year, and most likely into the jungles for one of those crazy Nat Geo shoots. Just wandering if anyone here had any experiences working in the amazon, any tips on protecting the gear etc. Also, any general travel tips? This will be my first time in South America.

Fairly standard kit: PSC Alphamix, 411/400 Lectros, MKH418 etc - probably overkill as it will most likely end up being all boom work. We are hunting giant tarantulas.

Any help appreciated!

Jason

bring lots of back ups. recorders, lavs, boom mics, even antenna's

wayne,

what restrictions and hassles are out there in chile?? 

Frank:

The biggest challenge so far has been trying to get a clear answer as to if I'm allowed to bring them into the country. I don't want to show up and have customs decide they like them and keep them. I want in writing that they won't have issues with it, but thus far I haven't been able to get a clear answer from Chile's agency on this. Based on what I know of this doc, I really won't need them anyhow, so I would rather leave them in a safe place.

Wayne

I would confirm with the production that you will definitely not need them (you and them are prepared to work without RF's!!)  and  if they say 'yes' leave them at home.  If they want you to bring them, make sure they have insurance to cover the 'stolen' gear.

You also have to keep in mind...they could probably confiscate ANYTHING you bring into the country, not just RF's.  Having a local fixer may be helpful.

I had absolutely no problems in El Salvador 2 years ago.

-Jason

wayne,

also, on the shipment carnae or manifest for customs, always list the radio mics as just that, mics. don't ever put wireless systems or radio frequency (rf) anywhere on the documents. when ever I ship out side the u.s. even canada, I put mics down on items in container etc.

a good guy at one of the leading wireless system manufactorers told me that like 5 years ago, and I always note it, and it has worked every time. they are mics, right?

ps, you might be wasting your time,calling chile's agency or consolate or even the embassy. try to get hold of a local sound mixer with gear. as jason just said, you might need him or her.

get it in writing, that production does not want or is not requesting wireless mics, and print it out and put it in your wallet, be ready to pull it out when the director or producer asks you to bring them out of your kit.  what about ifb's? they are rf's (list them as mics to)

We have submitted all equipment to the Venezuelan film commission as was required and all my kit was listed. Hopefully there won't be any issues there. Venezuela is not a carnet country as far as I know. But the film commission does require a list of all gear, value, country of manufacture and weight/size of pieces.

We also have a "fixer" so that should help, but I guess there are no guarantees if we get targeted by bandits.

The last time I did a trip for the same series was in Papua New Guinea. I took all my wireless with me but didn't end up using any of them. I don't think I'll take any chances even if production says that I won't need them. It is actually the productions gear, so I'm not too worried about things being confiscated. Chances are I can get by with just my boom. I do want to use my Lectros as a camera hop though, as I found when I did the gig in PNG that being on the leash was an inconvenience. The shoot is for National Geographic.

I don't actually have a spare shotgun mic, and can't afford one at the moment. Nor do I have a small backup mixer. I guess I'm just going to have to be careful with the moisture and have a poncho handy.

I don't actually have a spare shotgun mic, and can't afford one at the moment. Nor do I have a small backup mixer. I guess I'm just going to have to be careful with the moisture and have a poncho handy.

Don't be foolish. Explain to your client the need for backup gear and rent a backup mic, mixer and whatever other essential gear you might need.

Eric

I do want to use my Lectros as a camera hop though, as I found when I did the gig in PNG that being on the leash was an inconvenience.

That's a great point. I didn't think about that, but you're right, having a camera hop is a wonderful idea. I'll have to decide if I want to go with the 411 or the TRX900 for that. I like the size of the Zaxcom better, but the range is certainly a bit better with the  411 system.

Frank: Thanks for the tip on what to call it, since I haven't gotten a clear answer. The good news is Chile is now part of the Carnet system, so it shouldn't be too difficult to bring things in and out. I've just heard horror stories about wireless gear getting taken that I guess I'm a bit spooked by that.

I think the biggest issue for me will be if I take along the Deva to do a double system with. It saved my bacon when I did a National Geographic shoot last year, so I'm sold on running a double system, but I also don't want anything to happen to it. A Wendt mixer I can beat up, but a Deva I can't.

Wayne

...I think the biggest issue for me will be if I take along the Deva to do a double system with. It saved my bacon when I did a National Geographic shoot last year, so I'm sold on running a double system, but I also don't want anything to happen to it. A Wendt mixer I can beat up, but a Deva I can't.

Wayne

Maybe take an R-09 instead.  It'll give you double system without time code, but could still save your bacon, if needed, and is little cost and almost no weight.  Just a thought.

JB

• 2 weeks later...