New follow cart in the making

RPSharman

Yes, I like it.

Seems like it could be made very easily by someone that regularly makes flight cases. I like the flip up lid section (given me ideas for my future cart that resides in my head!). The rack unit sections will be flexible.

My only concern might be the final weight when loaded but I'm sure you factored for that Mr Sharman.

Good work so far.

Merry Christmas.

Robert, I'm sure you discussed with Jim over there the options of Plywood vs. their "Fly-Weight" material. I had my follow cart made with the Fly-Weight and I never regret spending the extra money for it.

I thought about it, George, but somehow decided that I was concerned with durability of the product. I may or may not have been right.

Looks pretty nice Robert, I must admit I had an audible "Aww, cool!" moment when I figured out the flip-top lid section, great idea.

What's the overhang on the dolly section for, boom poles to sit on with clasps perhaps?

Yes. Boom poles, or maybe a small cage of some sort to accommodate boom poles, etc.

Will there be drawers in the lower section? I guess my only thought is that you'll have to take the lid off the front and leave it somewhere then retrieve it for big moves.....

philp

Philip,

I Invision the door staying on the truck. The door can go on with the lid open to allow access to work area while cart is strapped in.

Robert

Robert,

Good luck on your new cart... looks great... nice design... you should be very happy.... I guess now is the time to try to get this stuff done...

Funny, but I just retired my BIG grey whale follow cart after years of faithful service.... built by Encore cases, N. Hollywood CA.. 5 drawers, different sizes. It still looks and works great.... the front cover comes off and instead of having to leave it in the truck, it has legs that fold out and it becomes a very useful table... It is big, strong and heavy... probably 150 lbs fully loaded... or more.... 28 wide by 40 high by 48 long.. My drawers don't lock though... I have to use two metal bars.. but that has worked just fine... If I did features, it would be great, but I don't...

I just wanted it out of my work van.... I already use another Boom op cart that serves much the same purpose on set and on location.. I loaded everything onto shelves and into one small rolling tool box.... I now have a van I can breath in... and i just built during this holiday break a whole new sound cart, so now there are two sound carts and the boom cart in the van and I STILL have twice the room...

Expensive holiday..... normally the xmas festivities are bad enough financially, but with a new sound cart loaded with new gear... it was brutal.. and really time consuming... the fed ex and UPS people think i'm nuts... they are here every day... sometimes twice..

cart_zpsca81249b.jpg

Robert,

Good luck on your new cart... looks great... nice design... you should be very happy.... I guess now is the time to try to get this stuff done...

Funny, but I just retired my BIG grey whale follow cart after years of faithful service.... built by Encore cases, N. Hollywood CA.. 5 drawers, different sizes. It still looks and works great.... the front cover comes off and instead of having to leave it in the truck, it has legs that fold out and it becomes a very useful table... It is big, strong and heavy... probably 150 lbs fully loaded... or more.... 28 wide by 40 high by 48 long.. My drawers don't lock though... I have to use two metal bars.. but that has worked just fine... If I did features, it would be great, but I don't...

I just wanted it out of my work van.... I already use another Boom op cart that serves much the same purpose on set and on location.. I loaded everything onto shelves and into one small rolling tool box.... I now have a van I can breath in... and i just built during this holiday break a whole new sound cart, so now there are two sound carts and the boom cart in the van and I STILL have twice the room...

Expensive holiday..... normally the xmas festivities are bad enough financially, but with a new sound cart loaded with new gear... it was brutal.. and really time consuming... the fed ex and UPS people think i'm nuts... they are here every day... sometimes twice..

cart_zpsca81249b.jpg

Yeah, but think of the smile you'll have on your face the first time you settle in to mix behind the new rig.....

philp