Stupid Question - boom thread size?

Arnold F.

This is probably what happens when you're 5am job gets cancelled. You start posting and only the people who use Whitworth are awake to answer!

With what might be considered sacrilegious intent, I wish to mount a go pro to a spare boom I have so I need to adapt whatever threads they are to 1/4-20. It looks like it's 3/8-16. The boom, btw, is an old LTM.

This is probably what happens when you're 5am job gets cancelled. You start posting and only the people who use Whitworth are awake to answer!

With what might be considered sacrilegious intent, I wish to mount a go pro to a spare boom I have so I need to adapt whatever threads they are to 1/4-20. It looks like it's 3/8-16. The boom, btw, is an old LTM.

There are adapters available to go from 3/8 to 1/4. Canford Audio in the UK sell them but I would suspect that PSC or Remote Audio do the same range. I'm fortunate in that I have a small machine shop and can make my own.

Malcolm Davies. A.m.p.s.

We actually make something designed specifically for converting your 3/8x16 thread to 1/4x20 AND it has a ball head to work with your GoPro. It's called the KCAMBH. It's what I use to put my GoPro on our 20 foot poles to make myself into a portable jib.

http://ktekbooms.com/pinnipedi/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/KCAMBH_005.jpg

Whitworth! Haven't even thought about that since the very old days of my working on British sports cars. My first cars were almost all British and of course I had to work on all of them! MGA, MGB, Austin Healy Sprite, Austin Healy Le Mans, etc.

Lucas Electrics, whose real company slogan was "Prince of Darkness".

JW, you ought to love this... (http://www.kitcar.com/articles-kitcar/humordept/lucas-prince.html)

Technically I think that UNC and Whitworth do differ slightly, but I believe that they are generally and largely compatible!!!!!

Kindest,

Simon B

The standards of Whitworth (aka BSW) & UNC 3/8" threads have slightly different thread angles (BSW 55 degrees & UNC 60 degrees), and therefore are only compatible in certain combinations. The following combinations work:

BSW male - BSW female

UNC male - UNC female

BSW male - UNC female

The combination of UNC male - BSW female however won't fit together.... This will therefore cause problems when a BSW female thread is used on a handle of boom adaptor, and a UNC male thread is used on a pole.

Here's a link with a sketch that explains the angle quite well: http://tinyurl.com/c83wkm2

Cheers,

Simon Davies, Rycote