portable battery powered loud speaker?

dominiquegreffard

So i ve been a super happy x mini II speaker owner for a bit. It s perfect for camera playback or a small director speaker. It s compact, cheap and the battery lasts forever.

http://x-mini.com/products-detail-overview.aspx?sid=3

I ve been using it for music video playback but it s too weak in terms of loudness. Even when i link them back to back.

The obvious choice for something more powerfull would be a mackie type of speaker but i don t want to have to rely on AC power and it is a little big to carry.

What would you guys think of using for something in between the x mini and a plug in speaker? A good compromise of size, portability and being battery powered is a must. I thought of the remote audio speaker but it s not probably made to be loud.

Thanks and happy new year to all!

I've done quite a few music video playback gigs using a pair of Anchor Liberty speakers, 1 active, 1 passive. The active units have a built in battery and small mixer.

On their website they offer many combinations of options.

http://www.anchoraudiohome.com/index.php?id=10

For portability I have bungee'd them to a hand cart which works great for a walking talent shoot like we did on this

I have used my JBL EON-15's off an inverter and a 12VDC battery pack and gone all day on them. No problems. But typically, there is a stinger available and we've been able to get AC with no problem.

The funny thing for me is that I was afraid when I bought them that they wouldn't be loud enough for their intended purpose. Instead, we wind up getting complaints from neighbors and others that they're too loud. Directors love to play stuff back loud, and the EON's can definitely get there.

Thanks everybody for their suggestions. The samson speaker seems to fit the bill for me. I ll get one and give you my impressions,

Cheers!

The Samson sounds like a reasonable compromise between price and features. Please DO report back. I'd very much like to know what you think of it. I may end up getting one as well.

Thanks,

Tom

I was chuckling reading through this post at the suggestions offered as I've got a mini-x, Anchor Liberty set, four Anchor AN1000x's, a Tivoli PAL, and a FOXL v2. So I've tried a few and found the one I carry around most often is the FOXL v2 because it's easy in and out of the Pelican case or even out of the front pocket of the Petrol bag. I tend to do mostly bag and not cart work so the best speaker for me has been the one that's readily available when doing playback which means small size but still has some punch. The only downside to the FOXL v2 to my ear is that it's tuned for music and speech comes out a bit too boomy.

Just for laughs, back in the day (late 70s')I would insert an electro voice 635 handmike into the audio output of a nagra or (later early eighties) sony bvu-110 for a speaker, I used to get tired of reporters trashing my headphones and breaking audio cables! JHW

The Samson sounds like a reasonable compromise between price and features. Please DO report back. I'd very much like to know what you think of it. I may end up getting one as well.

Thanks,

Tom

Agreed: let us all know how you get on. Small enough to keep in the van without robbing too much space. I have big speakers but only carry them when needed. If these sound OK, they could be a useful piece of kit.

Tim