Sign in to follow this  
seth

goundloop free iphone car charger

Thought you guys would have a suggestion. I play music through the aux channel/headphone out of my iphone. While playing with various car chargers I always get a pretty noise ground loop (not sure what to call when a car is involved). I drive a newer car so don't think it's crappy power. I assume most non audio people don't hear it.

Any recommendations?

Use an isolation transformer between the headphone jack and the aux inputs. Radio Shack sells one that goes RCA to RCA, you could probably buy that and solder on some 1/8" TRS connectors instead.

The other solution is to experiment with a dock that doesn't use the headphone amplified 1/8" output, but the line output that is built into the 30 pin connector, and is a true line output. Theoretically this should be higher fidelity, as the output impedance is likely more suited for the aux input and might also be immune to the ground loop or other induced interference you are experiencing.

Thanks ill make one up.

Any knowledge why this would happen? Would it be because aux gets power through different fuse than radio? Different ground placement in the car?

I thought I understood ground loops fairly well so wondering what I'm missing.

Also trying to learn more about instrument ground loop issues( playing through multiple amps and pedals).

Thanks