Favorite Long Shotgun Mic

JonG

I see a lot of people selling mkh70s and am curious why that is? I do a ton of outdoors stuff and a long shotgun would be a more suitable mic than the 416 that Ive been using, but if these mkh70s are so undesirable (I only say that because I see them for sale so often) then what are my alternatives?

Look at the threads about the 8070, I think some of those owners were replacing the MKH70 with the 8070.

Hmm, I thought the 8070 was smaller and lighter, but it isn't. Never saw one in person.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look at the threads about the 8070, I think some of those owners were replacing the MKH70 with the 8070.

Hmm, I thought the 8070 was smaller and lighter, but it isn't. Never saw one in person.

Whenever that is said, I think it may be a comparison to the 816 to which it is the successor.

• 1 month later...

Anyone have any experience with the Beyerdynamic MC837 in comparison to the other long shotguns? I was able to borrow an 816 for a day and did a shoot-out of sorts with my MC837 and found it to sound quite similar. The MC837 was a bit tighter and sounded tinnier off-axis. I was wondering if anyone had experience in the field with this mic? I've used it mixed in with Countryman B6 lavs for windy exteriors and it sounded better than the Rode NTG-3 but other than a few specific needs, it's stayed in the case.

• 1 year later...

So I thought I would come back to this thread and share my updates. 

After originally posting and following your excellent responses, I did not purchase a long shotgun. Not any time soon anyway. I did purchase a cmit5u a couple months later, which needs to further praise than it gets. It is a great mic and I like it a lot.

I did recently however purchase an MKH 70 after having re read this thread, and the opportunity to get a 70 at a great deal fell into my lap. I happen to be in the midst of a pretty long feature length film project, and we have a good amount of outdoor dialogue scenes being shot from a jib. Our director is pretty old school (for good or bad ;-) and doesn't like the sound of lavs, and wants me to get as much as I can with the boom or plant mics. Well, the cmit and the 416 (and certainly not the 50) couldn't handle a couple of those outdoor scenes, and lavs were deployed. But when I brought the 70 to set, my Boom Op was pretty excited to try it out, and upon first use, we achieved excellent results despite the jib movement and framing.

That was a couple of weeks ago, and it has become our primary outdoor mic. My Boom Op loves it, we get amazing results in difficult scenarios, and frankly, I don't know why I hadn't purchased one of these years ago!

So thank you again for those of you who contributed to this thread, I really appreciate your input, and I value your opinions and experiences!

Recently I finished a six months project (tv drama). 90% of exteriors was made with Sennheiser MKH 70. And 10% with Sennheiser MKH 416. Fantastic sounding microphone the Sennheiser MKH 70. I do not like the Sennheiser MKH 60 so much; which has better mid's from Sennheiser MKH 70 (to my ears), but in overall I prefer the Sennheiser MKH 70.

Locations was:

- Forest (with and without snow)

- Small traffic in two cities.

- Marine

- Waterfall

With my sound mixer we found the snowy forest had a better acoustic environment than non snowy forest. It was something like natural invisible sound blankets everywhere. The "nightmare" was the footsteps on the snow, but we solved this with "walked" on the snow to make it hard. The sound from Sennheiser MKH 70 was like ADR in studio.

About the waterfall and Sennheiser MKH 70. We "paid" the interference tube design and we rejected this microphone in waterfall scenes (thanks god it was only 2 scenes with dialogue in the waterfall from total 16 episodes). Solo DPA 4061. In this article from Sound on Sound explain well about the off-axis sound sources and the colouration.

My vote: Sennheiser MKH 70 for exteriors