Problems using Elastic Audio on Session Data (AAF) imported from AVID

jgbsound

Howdy everyone,

So I am working on a post project for a feature and I imported my AAF/OMF data from a file exported by Media Composer/Symphony (not sure which).

The re-recorded ADR timing is out of sync so i was going to use elastic audio to stretch/compress the takes so they fit better to the movement of their mouths.

So, I made separate ADR tracks and copied my ADR takes over to new tracks and tried to enable elastic audio.

It gives me this message:

Could not complete your request because an audio file on the playlist is unsupported for Elastic Audio Processing as it is read only...

Any ideas on how to solve this problem?

Any suggestions would be great fully appreciated.

Thanks!!!

I know next to nothing about any of this software but could it be as simple as a permissions issue? If you can look at the files (command+1 on a Mac, Get Info) and look at permissions at the bottom of the info pane. If you are able to set those to Read-Write you should be able to modify the file.

Maybe the files are read-only? If so, you would have to change the properties of the files on your drive. Or in ProTools, the drive the files reside on might be marked P, for playback only. You would have to change the drive's properties to R in PT or copy the files to another drive that's record enabled. Last thing I can think of right now after a long day: the regions must not have fades (or is that just for TCE?). These are just shots in the dark. Sorry if they were the obvious options you had already taken care of.

This trips up many a PT user. When you import an OMF, there is an option to make new files, or just import the OMF.

What that means is it will either make all new clips, or just read the audio out of the OMF container.

You have three choices to accomplish what you want:

1. Select the clip you want to edit, option-shift-3 to "Consolidate Region" (make a new clip file). Then process that clip.

2. Do a "Save session Copy in..." and choose to make new audio files on the copy. Then open the new session.

3. Re-import the OMF, and change the Audio Media Options dropdown menu from "Link to source media (where possible)" to "Copy From Source Media"

Hope this helps!

Also, upsampling the entire session to 96K can really improve the quality of the elastic audio. I will often do this just for the dialog edit, and then bring it back to 48K for the mix.

THanks Brian. I've already setup all my routing, organized everything, memory locations, etc. and started working on the project. Way too much hassle to redo everything and re-import at this point. I'll give your option no.2 a try and report back.

Thanks everyone for prompt responses!!!!

The re-recorded ADR timing is out of sync so i was going to use elastic audio to stretch/compress the takes so they fit better to the movement of their mouths.

I'm curious about this problem. Why is the audio timing out of sync in the first place? To me, if you can solve this issue, maybe there won't be a need to stretch or compress it at all. Is there time to talk to the ADR company and ask them what's going on? I suspect a pull-up/pull-down issue (aka the classic "29.97 vs. 30.00" problem), or even a drop/non-drop problem.

Hey Marc,

That's not the problem. It is a very low budget production, and the ADR session was done by an inexperienced person. The performance is there, it just needs a little finessing to get the dialog to fit. Totally a timing issue by the performers.

And so begins my nightmare...

John

Ain't much "Automatic" in ADR when done like that, is there?

Hey Marc,

That's not the problem. It is a very low budget production, and the ADR session was done by an inexperienced person. The performance is there, it just needs a little finessing to get the dialog to fit. Totally a timing issue by the performers.

And so begins my nightmare...

John

Forgive my naivety regarding post audio but aren't there programs (software) that will match ADR'd audio with the original guide track automatically doing what you are trying to do. Obviously these are not perfect but would be a good starting point and could save a bunch of time.

Please correct me or point out any failings (cost?) with these systems if you wish.

***Reminder to myself: Spend more time in post.***

Yes that would be true, IF production sound hadn't failed to back up the day in question and we are basically guessing what happened on set in the ADR process.

Which is exactly what happened. Sooo, my task is to try and make the audio "fit" as best I can.

There are, such as VOCAlign. But it, and its peers, are expensive (as in over $1K). They don't always work however, and elastic audio is a godsend. They especially fail if the new tracks don't match well, or if the guide tack is really toast from wind/wires/clothes rustle/whatnot.

Forgive my naivety regarding post audio but aren't there programs (software) that will match ADR'd audio with the original guide track automatically doing what you are trying to do. Obviously these are not perfect but would be a good starting point and could save a bunch of time.

Please correct me or point out any failings (cost?) with these systems if you wish.

***Reminder to myself: Spend more time in post.***

Yes that would be true, IF production sound hadn't failed to back up the day in question and we are basically guessing what happened on set in the ADR process. Which is exactly what happened. Sooo, my task is to try and make the audio "fit" as best I can.

I have used the "sledge-hammer approach" to force the square peg into the round hole in post, and it can be done... but it's messy. All you can do is roll up your sleeves, grit your teeth, and warn your clients that it's gonna cost them in time and money.

And do not short them on your rate. If this is not your mistake, you shouldn't be penalized for it, and you should be paid a fair wage for the extra time and effort this will take.

Yes that would be true, IF production sound hadn't failed to back up the day in question and we are basically guessing what happened on set in the ADR process.

Which is exactly what happened. Sooo, my task is to try and make the audio "fit" as best I can.

Understand now. I knew it couldn't be that simple. A challenge indeed.

As others have mentioned you can do a "Save Session Copy" and not lose any work. Definitely make sure you select the "Copy From Source Media" when importing an OMF. For that matter, always check the "Copy" option when importing any kind of audio. "Add" or "Link" with give you headaches when the source audio file is moved and all of a sudden PT tells you your region or clip is missing.

I also strongly recommend VocAlign (http://www.synchroarts.com). It is purposed for doing exactly what you are trying to do with elastic audio. You'd be amazed at how well it works. The version I have has been working solidly for almost 10 years without needing an upgrade $$$.

Mark O.

Hey Mark, Unfortunately Vocalign is not an option at this point.

The dialog for the day in question is missing and had to be re-recorded whilst lipsyncing to picture only (original audio was lost). I have to adjust the audio by hand because there is no guide track (reference) to follow....

This as Marc put it is a "sledgehammer" approach but it's the only option I have at this point.

Thanks anyway for the suggestion,

John

Hey Mark, Unfortunately Vocalign is not an option at this point.

The dialog for the day in question is missing and had to be re-recorded whilst lipsyncing to picture only (original audio was lost). I have to adjust the audio by hand because there is no guide track (reference) to follow....

Yikes! Good luck indeed. Keep this in mind too: I sometimes come across production dialogue that doesn't look like it fits in mouth flaps, so you can never say for sure whether something is lined up or not. This is one thing you can tell the producer or director who will nit pick over nuances in timing.

Mark O.

" It is a very low budget production, and the ADR session was done by an inexperienced person. "

they got what they paid for...

" a "sledgehammer" approach but it's the only option "

hope they are paying for this 'stepping over dollars to pick up a penny' movie-making lesson, and not you!