Welcome to JWSOUNDGROUP
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, get your own private messenger, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Schoeps CMD

schoeps digital humidity mk41 cmd supercmit

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

srab1138

srab1138
  • LocationNew York, NY

Schoeps CMD-2U

It's the digital version of the Schoeps Colette CMC amplifiers.

Anybody use it? There's no specific section about it on the Schoeps website. However, in Coffey magazine they seem to indicate that it is more resistant to humidity. With all the talk of the SuperCMIT being resistant to humidity, I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about this one.

I've searched on the web but info's pretty slim.

Sawrab Karim

Freelance Sound Recordist, located in:

New York, NY

macruth

macruth
  • LocationBudapest, Hungary

I'm curious myself,

a search for CMD 2 Ug provides very little in the way of info, also notably missing from "the usual suspects" offerings online to purchase,

I'd love to hear some real-world anecdotal information, but I'd be just as comforted knowing it were even available, I'd rent from anywhere to try it for a day in an on-set environment,

i might even <HAT> tomorrow...

srab1138

srab1138
  • LocationNew York, NY

It looks like it's just you and me. Even Schoeps' own website lacks info about it.... 

Sawrab Karim

New York, NY

Constantin

Constantin
  • LocationGermany
I am interested in it, too, but can't find out much about it, either. And it's not in Schoeps website anymore (it used to be), which makes think they have discontinued it

srab1138

srab1138
  • LocationNew York, NY

I am interested in it, too, but can't find out much about it, either. And it's not in Schoeps website anymore (it used to be), which makes think they have discontinued it

DISCONTINUED??? NOOOO!  :(

Hopefully not though. 

Sawrab Karim

New York, NY

Tom Visser

Tom Visser
  • LocationHonolulu, HI

My guess is that they are transitioning their products from mode 1 to mode 2.  I think they have found as well as others, that mode 1 is too limiting, especially in the production environment that Schoeps products are a popular tool for.

Constantin

Constantin
  • LocationGermany
What do you mean by mode 2? AES42 mode?

srab1138

srab1138
  • LocationNew York, NY

I have no idea where I read this, but I think that the Schoeps CMD did not offer the full capabilities of a digital microphone in some way. Might be what this mode thing is. 

Sawrab Karim

New York, NY

Tom Visser

Tom Visser
  • LocationHonolulu, HI

That's basically the difference between mode 1 and mode 2.  With Mode 1, you can only get a fixed gain output from the AES42 converter, in this case the CMD or the output of a CMIT / SuperCMIT.  Any gain adjustments have to be done prior to the digital capsule.  With mode 2, it supports the "preamp" or more correctly the digital receiver to interpret the digital data into a 24 bit signal so that the word can be truncated in a way as to allow a gain range to be variably selected, more or less equivalent to applying analog gain trim or boost to the signal.  There are also additional control features incorporated such as filters and phase.  Neumann and Sennheiser digital offering support mode 2.  Schoeps supports mode 1.  I don't know for a fact that Schoeps is pursuing this, it is just conjecture on my part.

Constantin

Constantin
  • LocationGermany

I just got off the phone with Schoeps. Nice guys! Tom, you are pretty much correct. They did pull the CMD2, because they weren't entirely happy with it anymore. They felt it didn't perform well enough on quiet sources in particular. Also it wasn't perceived well by the buyers, and they didn't sell a lot of units. They still have some units left, which they are selling off, but they don't want to advertise for it anymore. So if anyone is interested you can buy one from them directly. They come pre-configured with a 30dB boost, but you can ask them to set it to a different level.

They are working on a successor, but haven't yet set a release date, but it will be sometime this year. It will be a mode 2 model, with various options, that they haven't yet decided on. I suppose if anyone's got a great idea, now would be the time to tell them about it. The guy on the phone said to me (once I 'd told him that I do mostly film stuff) that he would strongly recommend holding out for the new model, it will be far more versatile.

macruth

macruth
  • LocationBudapest, Hungary
Wow, Thanks so much Constantine!
The value of the <HAT> :))
Thanks for sharing with us,
Any word of a digital CCM model?

Richard Thomas

Richard Thomas
  • LocationLondon, UK

Another note is that AFAIK the only box suitable for field use which supports AES42 mode 2 is the Neumann DMI-2 portable.  None of the SD or Zaxcom recorders do at the moment.  Some of the Digital modules (Neumann and Sennheiser included) also include digital low cut filter which can be controlled over mode 2 as well

Constantin

Constantin
  • LocationGermany

Any word of a digital CCM model?

Oh no, I knew I forgot something. I was already on the phone with them for almost 30 minutes. So I don't know. But you could instead use an active cable on a colette capsule and then put a digital preamp on that, but that's of course not the same, especially when trying to put it in a zeppelin. I did talk to him about using an analogue fig.8 mic on the SuperCMIT for M/S, though. He said that the preset 1 has a pretty steady delay so if you delay the S channel accordingly it should be fine. With preset 2 he was less sure, as its processing delay varies depending on the actual DNR it's doing. Sometimes this may even vary between frequencies. He also said that this is only strictly speaking, when following the M/S rules by the letter. You will still get "some room" even if you don't know the precise delay values.

srab1138

srab1138
  • LocationNew York, NY

I just got off the phone with Schoeps. Nice guys! Tom, you are pretty much correct. They did pull the CMD2, because they weren't entirely happy with it anymore. They felt it didn't perform well enough on quiet sources in particular. Also it wasn't perceived well by the buyers, and they didn't sell a lot of units. They still have some units left, which they are selling off, but they don't want to advertise for it anymore. So if anyone is interested you can buy one from them directly. They come pre-configured with a 30dB boost, but you can ask them to set it to a different level.

They are working on a successor, but haven't yet set a release date, but it will be sometime this year. It will be a mode 2 model, with various options, that they haven't yet decided on. I suppose if anyone's got a great idea, now would be the time to tell them about it. The guy on the phone said to me (once I 'd told him that I do mostly film stuff) that he would strongly recommend holding out for the new model, it will be far more versatile.

Wow you went above and beyond. Very impressive. 

Sawrab Karim

New York, NY

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: schoeps, digital, humidity, mk41, cmd, supercmit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users