Lightning to Thunderbolt cable?

ChrisH

How about making my lightning cable actually lightening by making it plug into my currently unused and hyper speed thunderbolt port.

at 10gbps theoretically I could sync my entire music library to my 64gb iPhone and iPad in approximately 30 seconds lol.

Chris - I'm not assuming you to be all-knowing, but I know you are pretty deep into new tech....

What is the lightning cable you are referring to regarding the MacBook Pro... ?

I've got a MacBook Pro from the tail end of 2010 - it has a very "thunderbolt" looking connector on the side, (exactly like a thunderbolt connector after a quick visit to Apple.com/support!) but a case-label that indicates it to be a "monitor" connection. Is this an actual Thunderbolt connection that can be used as a data exchange point too?

I'm about to purchase an external hard drive, and going "Thunderbolt" capable is an extra $100 - but I'd happily go there for the speed attributes if actually available to me. Time is money!!

MF

I've got a MacBook Pro from the tail end of 2010 - it has a very "thunderbolt" looking connector on the side, (exactly like a thunderbolt connector after a quick visit to Apple.com/support!) but a case-label that indicates it to be a "monitor" connection. Is this an actual Thunderbolt connection that can be used as a data exchange point too?

I'm about to purchase an external hard drive, and going "Thunderbolt" capable is an extra $100 - but I'd happily go there for the speed attributes if actually available to me. Time is money!!

MF

The thunderbolt connector was designed to be the exact same plug as the monitor connector you are referring to. Newer computers can use the thunderbolt port as a display port too. Your computer though is not "forward compatible"

Lightning is the new iPhone and iPad connector. Thunderbolt is a high speed data and display port.

Thanx - I have a DroidX and an iPad 1, but the wife has a newer iPhone and so now I know of what you speak!

That is a neat little connector - I'm willing to bet that some entity will indeed come up with the dream adapter for you / us from "lightning" to Thunderbolt......

wait - what comes first? The lightning, or the thunderbolt ??

MF

Apple is running out of superlative flashy names for their serial ports. I guess the next Apple Laptop will come with the Super-Tesla-Mega-Quazar port. With transfer rates faster than the speed of light so that data actually ends up on your external Hard drive before you start to transfer it.. However it will require an Apple Propriatary Liquid Helium cooled cable that costs over $500 for a 2 foot long connection.

Even if there is a Thunderbolt-Lightning cable, I'm not sure the phone could digest the data that fast. If you were transferring your 50+ GB music/video library to your iPhone, you are probably doing it once. Even if you transfer TV shows, or video podcasts, I think the use of Thunderbolt is a bit of overkill. Heck, you can do it over WiFi while you sleep.

Thunderbolt potentially has a long life ahead of it. Firewire is probably going to last 15+ years at this rate (Apple rolled it out in 1999/2000). The fact that Thunderbolt is not consumer popular today doesn't mean a lot. Google it and you will find a lot of drives. Apple also makes Thunderbolt-DVI adapter for 3rd party displays that don't support Thunderbolt/displayport.

Maybe it will catch on with TVs better than Firewire did, but Apple is covering that with the Mac Mini. Starting with the 2011 revision, the Mini has had Thunderbolt and HDMI. I have a Display hooked up to both ports on mine. A Viewsonic monitor and a TV.