Anyone experience with Sennheiser SK 2000 / EK 2000?

Mungo

Hi guys,

during the last week I've been looking for a solution to transmit sound wirelessly to a low-cost cam like 5D MK III, NEX900, Fs700.

Mostly sound will be used as a scratch track, but you know how directors and editors are ... it has to be good on camera too.

Cameramen want a small and light solution, so my first thought was Sennheiser G3, but then I found the Sennheiser SK 2000 / EK 2000 combination on their website. Main difference is the higher RF level (50mW in Europe) and the Lemo Input instead of stereo jacks. Compander system is HDX with advanced low frequency transmission. It's more expensive, but the better? Worth the money compared to G3? Any experiences?

Have a nice sunday!

Recently I had to use the 2000 series on a doco shoot.

Better than EW100 I had to use on another shoot, especially since they are more rugged.

However: we had issues after talent dropped an SK2000 (TX). A few years ago, I learnt the hard way that Audio 2020s don't mind being dropped...

And the SK/EK 2000 have a few issues they share with the cheaper EW components. Others might not mind, but I do.

(1) all controls are hidden behind the lid (which means you have to take them out of your bag completely to even power them on/off - or mount them to the bag's outside).

(2) A lot of antenna issues for me: The antenna isn't removable and therefore you can't use a rectangular antenna (which I sometimes find easier to hide on talent). Antenna breaks easily where it meets the body (especially as soon as someone puts the transmitter in their pockets and sits down). On the pocket RX, you can't connect an antenna cable from a distro fed by a remote antenna. So you can't increase range, but you need to rely on the (not always optimal) placement in the bag.

I got a couple of 2000 txs and rxs. They are basicly G3++ units. Similar, but a bit better in every aspect: Bulid quality, Frequency response, available channels, reach, battery level transission and so on.

Downsides to similiar professional systems (like mentionen above) is not having removable antennaes and the placement of the switches. Also, they are not as splashproof as, say, lectros.

For me they work well and I can keep my bag light and flexible with them. But they might not be for everyone.

" right? "

I don't think so...

48v phantom would only be on a plug-in TX, not on a pack TX, or on any RX.

Yes, that's exactly what pkautzsch just said. Sergio mentioned SKP2000, which is the plugon with phantom, but the thread is about the SK2000 belt pack TX and the EK2000 belt pack RX, neither of which have phantom.

Thank you guys! This helped a lot.

Indeed I meant the belt pack transmitter. I've made the experience that plug-on transmitters from Sennheiser have not that good range the beltpacks have. Maybe because there's no 1/4 lambda antenna in them.

• 1 month later...

SK / EK 2000 is great. Now I have it in use and I'm really impressed by the transmission quality it offers for the price.

I fear that the audio quality on the 5D MKIII will be too good :wacko:  I've tested it and had no problems with noise and interference.