Lectrosonics LectroRM app. Anyone using it?

TheAudioSynthesist

I like the app, however on my droid if I silence my phone I also silences the app. Additionally, it takes me a moment to enter my security code, and launch the app, which I found annoying. Eventually I went ahead and purchased the Lectrosonics RM, however I'm still glad to have the app, that way, if need be, I can give my boom op the RM and I can still do what I need to do with my phone.

Tom

Was using it on a documentary for the last 3 days with an artist who had severe illnesses & very limited access to her for most of the day. Being able to change gain & freq & sleep it when not in use was superb. Have been using it on a TV series for the past year as well, sometimes we have 4-5 cast members wired & they love it - they are bugged once & not mucked around with & I think they appreciate it, so they can focus without being fiddled with too much.

I have found some actors dont trust the beeps. That is, if I turn them off by LectroRM and tell them that they're turned off, the still plug out their mic at times when they need privacy because they think I can remote them from far away or something. Then when rehearsals start again I beep them and get back to my cart just to realize they're plugged off. It's all a trust thing with them, and that takes a lot of work.

I typically will show them how to switch off.... of course I've also seen them get that wrong!

Yes, a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing.

It is all down to training... the talent not the recordist :). The safest thing I is to request they find a member of the sound team before they start fiddling and yanking at the mic connector. Of course, this isn't always possible. i therefore sometimes remind them of the purchase cost which can be a good way to shock them into doing what you want them to do.

Talent: "What?! They cost how much?!"

Sound Dept: "yes, please don't damage them as you'll need to explain to the production manager how it happened."

I've met several actors who really enjoyed the dweedle sound. They were pretending to be checked out at a supermarket. And then... Checked back in for whatever reason. Maybe they did just to be nice to the poor sound guy. But once I had shown them their receiver and how it went dead after dweedling, they were quite reasonably convinced that they did not have to unpluf anything. But there were others, too, who still did and still do

I use it all the time. When my Samsung phone is on silent it still works.

I wire people up and sleep the transmitter. When we are getting close to rolling I unsleep. Before I had the app I just had the two "sleep" sounds downloaded onto my phone. They were on a website for free download at one point.

With sports players, when a pack is taped securely behind their pads or something, the app is incredible. One day I forgot my phone at home and borrowed a crewmember's phone, downloaded the app, gave him $20, just because I like using it so much.

It's also really cool and people generally refer to it as Skynet.