Problem with the card from 552

elior

Today I recorded something really important, and we filmed with a DSLR (sound recorded on the 552).

And I heard the playback takes, from the first to the last (in the mixer)

I put the card in the director's computer (Mac) and nothing ...I put the card in my computer (pc) and this is what I see in the folder 13Y01M14 post-2165-0-36035000-1358211470_thumb.pn

I put the card in the mixer again and now he say that there are no files, but it starts from a nine, so he knows that eight recorded.

I do not know what destroyed the card, the director's computer or the mixer.
Anyone else having this problem before?
Can be recovered?

Thanks

Something like this happend to me a few years back. It may be the brand of SD card you are using. Was it an "off" brand?

I would format the card and test it again, and then test a standard San Disk card too. Sound Devices has a list of approved media card brands, but I have found a few non-name brand companies that work great with their gear. I can get the names to you later if you like.

Let me know if it was a non-compatible card. Otherwise, I have a few other ideas about the issue.

I had a similar issue a few years back as well. The SD card was a Sandisk which after recording a series of interviews could not be seen on a Macbook when plugged in to its slot BUT when returned to my 552 was fine?! I managed to get the files off using a different card reader when I got home and emailed the files to the client. Phew! I now format the card at the start of everyday in the machine before turning over and it hasn't failed me since.

I should point out I recovered the files using the different card reader on a Macbook Mini. There is several Mac file recovery software available but I'd clone the card first and perform the recovery on the cloned card. Alternatively, if the SD card is readable in your 552, re-record the audio from your 552 into another machine (with/without timecode as required).

Yes, it's SD Sandisk, but I use it a year without problems.

The problem was the Mac card reader (the SD card file allocation table has become scrambled)

The lesson - do not put your SD in other people's computer.

Luckily we were able to recover 7 of 8 files.

Thanks guys

I always had this policy with the 552. If the 552 was generating the only usable recording, I would ALWAYS run another recorder in my bag, usually an H4n. It saved me on one shoot where channel 2 did not have any signal on playback. I had done a record test at the beginning of the day, but had only checked channel 1. I'm still not sure what the problem was. A factory reset solved it however.

Tom

A file restoration app like Piriform's (free) Recuva may help find the missing file(s), though the names may be cryptic, so look for dates and file size, if they don't show up, try the 'deep scan' mode. Above all, do not record anything on the card as the 'missing' files could be overwritten and.. gone for good.

The only time I ever had an issue with any files was when I lost power during a take. Otherwise, my 552 was 100% reliable as my sole recorder for over two years.

+1 1000's of hours of recording and only once when I lost power did I have an issue but the card was fine when I inserted it into a computer all but last 5 seconds of file was there and rest of card was there. 

Off brands are definitely not the way to go. My 552 got messed up because of an off brand. The an sd card wouldn't even go in and I had to send it in for repairs. 

Had the 552 freeze up a couple times as well. Other than that know major problems. I usually dump the files on my computer and give production the files on a flash drive. 

this happened to me a couple years ago.  happened to be a sandisk in a 552 but i'm convinced neither the card itself or recorder was related to the card failure.  it occurred when the usb card reader connection was interrupted during data xfer to my laptop which corrupted the card.  the interruption was caused by a less-than-tight connection at my laptop's well-worn USB port.  remounting the card was not possible, no longer recognized.  i recovered the data using recovery software from sandisk but the files' headers were missing. was a total loss.  i don't use that computer in the field any more.  i don't record without a backup anymore either (now use MARF as well).  after that disaster i'm doubly careful of the reader/connection i'm using during xfer.  no probs since then.

I also had a similar problem during the first year I owned my 552. At the time I assumed it was a firmware bug. After upgrading the firmware it never happened again but about a year later the card failed to work with the 552 anymore. So who knows.

Funny that a zoom can record reliably with any old SD card but the 552 has its moments with even name brand media. I was pretty irritated at the time and it took awhile for me to trust the 552 again. I still don't 100%.

Last December I was rolling an interview with the 552. First time using the mixer/recorder (it was a rented gear). I only have used the 744 before. We were rolling dialogue for about 25 minutes (the camera didn't cut as the director was interviewing and so did I) when I got a notice from SVEN saying "SD card offline" or something of the like.

My first assumption was that the card was somehow full by now so I had to ask them to cut for me to sheepishly change the card. That night tried to open the file on my Windows laptop and it is simply unreadable. Tried on the DIT's macbook pro and same result. Inserted the card back into 552 and it doesn't recognise the file.

Panic sets into my head (was thinking producer will give me a call and breathe fire down my neck the moment they found out the problem). Luckily I am a backup guy and always will, I routed the audio to the cameras (both of them). So went to the DIT, asked him to load up Final Cut Pro, imported the clip, exported the audio. So that becomes my new 'master' recording for that whole interview.

Learned a few things.

1. Always check and make sure the firmware is the latest revision if it's on a rented gear.

2. When ONE card is your ONLY medium, make sure it's the best-in-class card.

3. As what I experienced with the 744, when you press Record button while it is already recording, it will generate a new file. That was what I did after this 'little' 552 incident. This means the audio is now split (I normally press record when a new question is being asked) so if anything is corrupted, it's only the last question and not the questions before. I believe the early revision 552 have some trouble recording and buffering the memory when your clip comes to a certain duration (my incident it was around 25 minutes) so that when it is corrupted, the whole 25 minutes is gone.

4. I never want to hear SVEN when the 552 is recording ;)