Thoughts on outs

Brett Sorensen

Hey all,

I'm mixing a show this weekend with the 788t/CL8. Two camera shoot, four wires and a boom, 2 hops, and IFB.

The hops are 400/411 (2), and the IFB is a 400 to two R1a. 

My question being - If any, which should get the digital outs? Assuming the 400's can take a digital signal? 

My original thought was to use the digital outs to send LR to cam, and the analog to send summed to IFB. But maybe I have it backwards? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Brett

Where to begin?

400/411 are neither stereo nor digital. You can use two 400s transmitting L/R to two 411s on one camera, if you are splitting tracks. Or you can send mono mix to two cameras. You can send mono mix to IFB, or whatever you choose, by selecting what goes to your outputs.

You have a few days. I'd suggest a bit of manual reading.

Robert

400/411 are neither stereo nor digital. You can use two 400s transmitting L/R to two 411s on one camera, if you are splitting tracks. Or you can send mono mix to two cameras. You can send mono mix to IFB, or whatever you choose, by selecting what goes to your outputs.

Ah yes, I should have know better as I am familiar with the 400/411. I've just never used them as hops, generally my shoots are just scratch from comtek. Is it common to mount two 411's on a camera? 

Ah yes, I should have know better as I am familiar with the 400/411. I've just never used them as hops, generally my shoots are just scratch from comtek. Is it common to mount two 411's on a camera? 

I don't know how that will be go over.... good luck though....

it depends... to quote a very famous guy...

I don't know how that will be go over.... good luck though....

it depends... to quote a very famous guy...

That was my concern. They are coming with their own kit, on the equipment list for hops the have two 400's and four 411s, along with four lectro mounts. So I'm just trying to piece together what whoever assembled the kit had in mind, as production doesn't seem to know anything about it other than they have a kit. 

That was my concern. They are coming with their own kit, on the equipment list for hops the have two 400's and four 411s, along with four lectro mounts. So I'm just trying to piece together what whoever assembled the kit had in mind, as production doesn't seem to know anything about it other than they have a kit.

That's fine--you have the two 400s (ch1/2 TX), right? The cams have a pair of 411s each, and they have the right mounting stuff for their cams for them (apparently). As you know, each 400 on a diff but compato freq, then 2 411s tuned to the freq of each 400 so each cam gets an identical 2 ch. feed. Should work very well. You will have to make sure the freqs work for your area and that the gain structure for the TXs is setup right for the outputs of the 788, but since this is all a package it MIGHT be all good to go as is--you could get lucky.

philp

That's fine--you have the two 400s (ch1/2 TX), right? The cams have a pair of 411s each, and they have the right mounting stuff for their cams for them (apparently). As you know, each 400 on a diff but compato freq, then 2 411s tuned to the freq of each 400 so each cam gets an identical 2 ch. feed. Should work very well. You will have to make sure the freqs work for your area and that the gain structure for the TXs is setup right for the outputs of the 788, but since this is all a package it MIGHT be all good to go as is--you could get lucky.

philp

Thanks Philip, they are using the Sony ex3's - a quick google image search shows me this is fairly common for this camera. I was initially unsure how setting two 411s to the same frequency would behave. But I guess ultimately that's what you're doing with IFB, I just don't have much experience with hops. I appreciate the clarification. 

Do you suspect the TX's gain will more than likely be hot if it doesn't come pre set?