STAIRS

Tom Maloney

Hi, I know this might be way off for some but I would like to ask about stairs and how you handle them with your gear. I am in the Chicago area. When not bagging it I use a PSC  cart, venue, Furman power supply, drawers  etc. This works fine for hotels, venues on the first floor but lately the 3 flats are killing me. I have two handles mounted low in the front for assistance lifting, but most of the time PAs are well,  lets say............. I won"t say it. 

So it is me humping one step at a time, 3 flat curving staircases are brutal. I can do it but getting tired of it.

The other option I am thinking of  is mounting the venue, power etc in about a 4 unit rack case, another case with drawers and moving over to a Magliner Mini with shelves and then assemble on location after getting up the stairs. My thinking here the Magliner might be easier in the vertical position for stair climbing.

Just curious how others are doing it. I am sure New Yorkers have it sometimes worse than I do.

Also interested in the worse case of stairs you have had. I know it can' be just me !

Thanks all

Tom

There are some people that have custom carts that come apart in the middle for portability. 

Jan posted somewhere a plan for running her RF (antennas?) up a NY walkup and leaving her cart on the street. Try to google for her posts on the subject. I honestly don't remember if she ever got that to work, or maybe came up with something else. 

I built a PSC-like cart. I use the cart on low budget indies, and it's just me and a boom op. PAs always seem too busy, or I worry about them carrying more than our chairs and maybe the FatMax (in place of a follow cart). 

There are some people that have custom carts that come apart in the middle for portability. 

Jan posted somewhere a plan for running her RF (antennas?) up a NY walkup and leaving her cart on the street. Try to google for her posts on the subject. I honestly don't remember if she ever got that to work, or maybe came up with something else. 

I built a PSC-like cart. I use the cart on low budget indies, and it's just me and a boom op. PAs always seem too busy, or I worry about them carrying more than our chairs and maybe the FatMax (in place of a follow cart). 

Yes, I've got a remote RX thing to work. At fist, it was just the RX/antennas/IFB TX and how ever many 100's of feet of cat5 cable, now, it's a Nomad/QRX/IFB in a bag with send/return via cat5. Sure cut down on my Grip Beer budget.

One more pic...  Some have seen this but oh well.. It's a climber.... GREAT for stairs..  I did not want to take anything apart nor have more than one cart...

At 1/3rd the weight of my old cart, (or less) even more powerful in terms of tracks and outputs, turns on a dime... fits in all kinds of spaces my old Magliner would NEVER fit and is now my full time cart...

Only 40In high  (belly button on me-5-10) and  26 wide at the widest with the wheels... As I said, it goes up stairs great.... even flights... with a hand of course... Everything is smaller and faster, my cart had to be too...

Real happy... My 744 is not in the pic but sits on the 788.... Monitor is behind the 788, it's dark so it's difficult to see... TS-C sits in bag between the Lectros and the Anchor speaker. The only thing I put up is the ALP 620 rig antennas which sits built in the back and pops right on.. NO exposed wires... except the slate feed cables...

AC/DC and all LED lit... even the patch bay on the rear...

Those are black MC Handlebar tie down straps hanging from the sides, so tie downs don't damage the cart..

I can't believe how easily it rolls and climbs...

If necessary the SIXPACK goes on my stand and I place it and the antenna up to 100ft. from the cart.... It's all wired to do so... the snake patches right into the back of the cart... I prefer mic line, not antenna...

post-2758-0-85191500-1358352333_thumb.jp