Jamming an Alexa with a Zaxcom ERX2TCD

Hey Palmer,

To be clear, what is actually happening when you use the timecode delay on the ERX2? Does it speed up the timecode being received by a certain value? So -1 frame means it's adding 1 frame to the timecode at the receiver side?

thank you,

Andy

For example, if you set the TC offset to -1, if you received a timecode of 00:01:19:28 at the ERX it would compensate it to output 00:01:19:27 instead, therefore making up for the delay as if there was no delay.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More problematic is that there's no TC Delay parameter to adjust in the TRX900 extended menu...using a QRX with generated TOD as TC sender via zaxnet to its corresponding TRX-STA as a cam hop for example. 

Maybe if we got an ERX we do all the adjustements (the -1.5 frame) then de-activate zaxnet in the TRX and jam it manually in the ERX (repeating mid-day) ? The TRX internal TC gen would do the job I guess...

If you ask me, we should not be the ones having to trouble shoot this.

Well, the user end noticed there was an issue and this is the current workaround. And Howy is currently trouble shooting it on their end. So we are all good for the time being. :)

Has anyone found it necessary to adjust the audio delay in addition to the TC delay? Can someone give an instance where audio delay would be most advantageous? I just picked up a set of these and haven't started to use them yet.

Has anyone found it necessary to adjust the audio delay in addition to the TC delay? Can someone give an instance where audio delay would be most advantageous? I just picked up a set of these and haven't started to use them yet.

Video monitoring. And I have to tell you every time producers are very happy that the sound matches the picture.

I haven't had to deal with that directly. Usually an ac tells the director it's due to the long video runs and its left at that but I do agree its necessary to please the important people and to keep in mind in the future as its something I can now do something about. Thanks!

Something I didn't notice is that when you set a TC delay, when you switch on the unit you get this new line while booting

TCDELAY=%2.1F FR

I've tried to change the TC delay value to see if the value changes while booting but it always shows %2.1F

Running 1.15 firmware 

post-238-0-60715800-1359382227_thumb.jpg

Michael Go from your lemo to a first BNC for "TC in" then from that BNC to

the second BNC for "TC out". Would give you something like that: post-1129-135971723275.jpg

Now for wiring the cable, colors as an example...

Lemo

Pin 1 ( gnd) -shield

Pin 2 (TCin) -white

Pin 5 (TCout) -black

To:

BNC1 (TC in/ ie to "get" TC from the recorder on connected unit)

Center pin - from lemo pin5 -black

Shell - from Lemo pin 1 - shield , then re- wire from there to BNC2

Tie and isolate remaining wire (white) to go "directly" to BNC2

BNC2 (TCout / ie to "feed" your recorder from connected unit)

Incoming from BNC1:

White to center pin ( that wire coming from the lemo )

Shield to the shell

Yes Howy is looking into this.

There still hasn't been any official announcement from zax about this so far (but it's just been a few days); I guess 'til we get that memo, we'll have to keep on setting our units to -1.5fps ...

I hope the patch works as well for the scenario I indicated earlier too (TRX getting TC from QRX mounted on cam).

• 4 months later...

There still hasn't been any official announcement from zax about this so far (but it's just been a few days); I guess 'til we get that memo, we'll have to keep on setting our units to -1.5fps ...

I hope the patch works as well for the scenario I indicated earlier too (TRX getting TC from QRX mounted on cam).

How about now? Does anyone know if this has been fixed yet? I don't want to set an offset I don't need

The 1.5 frame delay bug was fixed in the TRX software starting at v8.12. I would make sure the rest of the equipment that touches the timecode is up to date as well.

-howy

That's great to know, thanks Howy! So my IFB100 with v8.12 transmitting to ERX2TCD is fine, as well?

The 1.5 frame delay bug was fixed in the TRX software starting at v8.12. I would make sure the rest of the equipment that touches the timecode is up to date as well.

-howy

That's great to know, thanks Howy! So my IFB100 with v8.12 transmitting to ERX2TCD is fine, as well?

• 2 months later...