Trew Audio's Nagra Collection

Whit Norris

For some reason customs had a very hard time with it. 

Customs probably saw a few too many spy movies before coming across this little unit....

Being a clear-shelled demo, no doubt this is truly one of a kind - priceless to some.

I was curious, because the size / dimensions of it is VERY similar to the Nagra 2ci, the oldest machine I've come across, circa 1957.

Makes me think that, design-wise, well - that was the expectation for a portable reel to reel machine.  

I'd pop a picture up for you - but I've been through all of the icons on this post, and can't find the one that uploads a picture from my computer and into this post -- 

(feeble cry for help!??)

MF

I'd pop a picture up for you - but I've been through all of the icons on this post, and can't find the one that uploads a picture from my computer and into this post -- 

(feeble cry for help!??)

MF

Mike, use the Full Editor (by clicking on "More Reply Options") then "Choose Files" button, navigate to the file on your computer and the file will upload to the site. Then you can click on "Add to Post" and it inserts the image at your cursor point in your post.

Like this? Do you have this machine?

The tape path is similar 

That's the one -- and I wish I had one, but not down here...  last time I saw one for sale was 2006 - it was near $5k and I definitely didn't have that kinda $$ just lying around! 

The hand-crank - like a Jack In the Box!

Mike, use the Full Editor (by clicking on "More Reply Options") then "Choose Files" button, navigate to the file on your computer and the file will upload to the site. Then you can click on "Add to Post" and it inserts the image at your cursor point in your post.

Thanks hombre ! 

This is just another picture.....  handcrank on the right a bit less pronounced. 

Again, of note to me is that the size / dimensions are rather close to your FI Cord...er.

An emulation of design and function, perhaps, of the Nagra circa 1957 ?

post-339-0-57080600-1358847023_thumb.jpg

MF

Wowsa - that is a truly awesome stash.....

In addition to "spy" utility, the Nagra SNNs were also used, albeit rarely, by crafty sound men of the times to achieve "hail mary" set-it-and-forget it dialog and efx recording when radio mics were not even in existence... the Nagra Microphone for these things was rather sizeable by todays lav standards. Hiding-the-mic far less an issue than hiding the actual recorder !

( I'm going to have to do some hunting to find mine - it's down there somewhere! )

Runtime was determined by the actual thickness of the reel to reel tape - different color reels for different "mils" thus the thinner the tape, the longer the runtime - (and the greater the risk regarding sound / dialog volume, print-through, and general tape-based worries)

The "wireless" before wireless!!

OK, Undercover - what is the machine on the fourth shelf from the top - flush left - black with clear cover - 4" reels (?) - "leaf" logo on right corner ?

MF

Yes--I did that several times to do shots that would be still be close to impossible even with today's wireless gear.

That is a HELLUVA collection. Is that in a store or someplace where a mere mortal can see it. Like Mr Crew, seeing that many vintage recorders together gave me quite a pause.

phil p

There are a few other brands in here also. Mainly its a spy recorder collection. Still all tape recorders.

Across the top are the earliest known undercover spy recorders. The next row of Minifon wire recorders from the 50's, Cigarette pack spy recorder. The ZippoReel, a few Fi-cord and Stellavox recorders. Nagra was also a leader in undercover spy recorders and still is today. We just don't have information on them until they're outdated. Then below the Nagra SN's are some small commercial and toy reel to reel recorders. Then the larger Nagra recorders, the Nagra IV-ST was purchased from a sound-man with lots of history in movies and music videos recorded with it, and finally a couple of wind up recorders. Sorry for the poor quality pictures. 

Wow! What a great collection! Eric sent me the photos, but I was in NY hanging with Jan and the sound gang there, just catching up...

I'm taken back..... beats my wimpy collection. I'm sure you are very proud!

Whit

That is one fabulous collection of recorders and history.

I used 4 Nagra SNN's in 1973 on the film the "White Dawn", directed by Phil Kaufman and shot in Frobisher Bay, Canada. I placed them on Warren Oates, Timothy Bottoms, Lou Gossett Jr. and Simone Kopapik, what an adventure. General Camera had a device that allowed me to play the SN tapes back in real time and transfer them to a Nagra 4.2 for dailies. Not as fast or high tech as Zaxnet - but it got the material onto 1/4 tape. 

Undercover has some nice youtube content as well. He occasionally does some thinning of his collection on ebay. The "zipporeels" are his own creation, a very genuine-looking reel recorder inside a zippo lighter case! I hope he'll post a picture, I don't see them in the above photos.

I recently completed a restoration of a Stellavox SM5, which was born from, (or vis-versa) the Fi-Cord 1A. The SM5 could be configured with extra heads to record a pilot tone for sync sound, or operate as a basic full track mono recorder (50-12000 khz).  I re-did the cigarbox wooden case in hammertone black, as the original vinyl covering was ugly, and water-damaged too.

The biggest challenge was the motor. Some details of the restore and a rough video can be seen at

http://dfwsoundman.blogspot.com/2012/11/stellavox-sm5-restoration-progress.html

post-1426-0-50346700-1359019293_thumb.jp

post-1426-0-47125200-1359019312_thumb.jp

Thank you all for the comments, Whit Norris I'm Sorry I highjacked your post , I should have thought about it first before posting my pictures on your post. It was not right, if I could change it I would.  It was not meant to up show the collection you posted. Sorry about that.

What I should have done is watermark the photos before posting. These pictures have never been on the internet before. I thought you guys would be the best to share them with. Not sure if I did the right thing or not but it's done now.

If I can ask a favor of the people who have a copy of the un-watermarked photo's if you can just keep them for yourself and if you need to, only distribute the water marked photos.  If they're going to end up on the internet forever, at least I want to claim them.

Thank you very much

Undercover

Undercover,

No highjacking here, it is all organic and moves and changes as we all share and thank you for these great pictures and such a wonderful collection of recorders!

Whit

I admire your passion and perseverance in amassing such an impressive collection, "Undercover".  Very nice display case you have put together to rightfully show off the fruits of your investment and labour! 

And Glenn's collection is not too shabby either! ;-)

"Hot linking" is sometimes frowned on too. I used to run a website that got hot linked a lot. Basically a busy site posted my image, but it was being pulled from mine, so every time somebody loaded their page, it pulled the data off my server. They didn't credit me for my photograph. The software I used back then to run the site (phpNuke) had a fascinating feature where hot linked photos could display a different image, possibly one that's a little unsavory.