What happened to Quotes?

Matt Mayer

HI Jeff,

Saw that you did some upgrades to the board the other day.

What happened to enclosed quotes from other messages?

The new style, in my opinion makes messages harder to read because I have to try and figure out where the quote ends and the new comment begins.

Thanks!

HI Jeff,

Saw that you did some upgrades to the board the other day.

What happened to enclosed quotes from other messages?

The new style, in my opinion makes messages garder to read because I have to try and figure out where the quote ends and the new comment begins.

Thanks!

Well, I have heard that there are problems with quotes after the update. I am replying to you, Matt, while looking at your post quoted above, and while typing this, everything looks okay to me. We'll see what happens when I actually post this. The block codes, like "quote/" in brackets seems to have gone away.

I can see now that the only distinction fore the quote is that it is boxed and uses slightly smaller font. This is not so good. I will look into how this can be changed so that quoted text from posts is more distinguishable.

Let me see what you are speaking about.

CrewC

Seems about the same. Maybe a bit smaller on my end.

CrewC

I can see now that the only distinction fore the quote is that it is boxed and uses slightly smaller font. This is not so good. I will look into how this can be changed so that quoted text from posts is more distinguishable.

Are things back to norma now> The previous incarnation of quotes also failed to show who the quote was from. This is a test to see if the above quote from Jeff shows who is being quoted.

Are things back to norma now> The previous incarnation of quotes also failed to show who the quote was from. This is a test to see if the above quote from Jeff shows who is being quoted.

Wow , the site is so sluggish now that When I hit post reply , nothing happens then I press the button again and aparently it puts 2 copies of the post in a single reply. Didn't have any of these sluggish problems before you added chat. Now as I type in IE9 it frequently hangs for 5 or 6 seconds and loses all keystrokes that happen during those freezes. I only have this problem on this board. Other forums dosn't seem to have this problem.

Wow , the site is so sluggish now that When I hit post reply , nothing happens then I press the button again and aparently it puts 2 copies of the post in a single reply. Didn't have any of these sluggish problems before you added chat. Now as I type in IE9 it frequently hangs for 5 or 6 seconds and loses all keystrokes that happen during those freezes. I only have this problem on this board. Other forums dosn't seem to have this problem.

Hangs forever in Opera (alpha version) also, but it does post. I have to leave Opera and come back in to see the post.

Thanks,

LEF 

I have actually experienced just the opposite since doing the IPB update --- site navigation is faster and more direct. The quotes problem is a css/template problem from the theme we're using (which had to be updated for compatibility for the forum update). I will fix the quotes problem but the sluggish performance you mention, I don't know what can be done about that.

Also, Courtney, while you're at it, could you let me know if the Sign In routine is working for you or not. We went to a single page Sign In to help out those few who were using some configuration of Windows and IE, but we're back to a modal window. The hope was that updates to IPB and our theme, or updates to Windows and IE, have solved the problem.

Jeff any luck figuring out why some are getting the box over the new content page when using mobile view on some smart phones?

Sorry, Jack, I have been sorting out some other issues relating to QUOTE function. I didn't realize your initial report was specifically about problem on mobile devices. Compatibility with the mobile skin and iOS6 and Android is a little more complicated to sort out. I know people have said they have trouble with the IPB app in the past but the current version on iPhone5 is working great. There have been no reports that Tapatalk is not working so those who love that are okay. So, it is just those who launch browser on mobile phone and get the mobile skin which is screwed up. I will keep working on it.

Also, Courtney, while you're at it, could you let me know if the Sign In routine is working for you or not. We went to a single page Sign In to help out those few who were using some configuration of Windows and IE, but we're back to a modal window. The hope was that updates to IPB and our theme, or updates to Windows and IE, have solved the problem.

Jeff,

The popup sign in now works in IE9. I still have the sluggish problem and when entereing text in a reply the cursor will frequenty Freeze and loose keystrokes about every 30 seconds. I checked to see if some browser plug in may be causing a confilct, but the only browser plugin That is not disabled is Flash. I have Java turned off at the moment. Whenever I choos a topic from the main page, the topic thread comes up at the top of the thread but I can't scroll down for select anything for about 12 seconds untill the chat room is populated. . I also noticed the IE or your forums automatic spell check is not working in the text entry mode.

Maybe that is the cause of the freezing problem. Sorry if there are spelling errors with it droping characters and not spell checking it is a bit of a pain to type on your forum.

Also when entering text in a reply the light gray font on white backround is Very hard to read. Can you go to BLACK font during text entry so it is easier to visually check spelling? I also note that the Quote in the final post window lacks info on who is being quoted.

Jeff,

The popup sign in now works in IE9. I still have the sluggish problem and when entereing text in a reply the cursor will frequenty Freeze and loose keystrokes about every 30 seconds. I checked to see if some browser plug in may be causing a confilct, but the only browser plugin That is not disabled is Flash. I have Java turned off at the moment. Whenever I choos a topic from the main page, the topic thread comes up at the top of the thread but I can't scroll down for select anything or about 12 seconds untill the chat room is populated. . I also noticed the IE or your forums automatic spell check is not working in the text entry mode.

Maybe that is the cause of the freezing problem. Sorry if there are spelling errors with it droping characters and not spell checking it is a bit of a pain to type on your forum.

Also when entering text in a reply the light gray font on white backround is Very hard to read. Can you go to BLACK font during text entry so it is easier to visually check spelling?

Wow! The list of problems you are experiencing is staggering. It is going to be difficult or impossible for me to sort all these things out since I do not have any Windows machine here. I have to rely on Laurence to test and troubleshoot anything relating to Windows and specifically IE browser. From what you are reporting, the site is basically non-functional for you --- if you can't even scroll down or enter text, yikes! Text color has not been changed, it is still just one click shy of black (maybe even black). As for spell checking, we've been through this before --- the site does not have ANY spell checking function, never has had it. From what I have been told, spell checking is accomplished by your operating system and/or browser. I do not understand this well enough to give any more guidance and on my computers, spell checking works just fine across all browsers, applications, etc.

Wow! The list of problems you are experiencing is staggering. It is going to be difficult or impossible for me to sort all these things out since I do not have any Windows machine here. I have to rely on Laurence to test and troubleshoot anything relating to Windows and specifically IE browser. From what you are reporting, the site is basically non-functional for you --- if you can't even scroll down or enter text, yikes! Text color has not been changed, it is still just one click shy of black (maybe even black). As for spell checking, we've been through this before --- the site does not have ANY spell checking function, never has had it. From what I have been told, spell checking is accomplished by your operating system and/or browser. I do not understand this well enough to give any more guidance and on my computers, spell checking works just fine across all browsers, applications, etc.

Well I just found I could "Change Theme"  To IP Board and at least the font goes back to Black for the text entry box and it doesn't seem to have the freezing problem after each page refresh.  So I like that "theme" better since is is easier on the eyes for text entry and doesn't seem to freeze up.  I would suggest anyone else having problems with IE9 go back to that theme and test it.  I have ie Spell check as you type  turned on but it doesn't in the text entry boxes on this forum for some reason.

However when I post a message the Signature is still light Grey on white.   Why don't you just stay with black on white and make it easier on us.  Highlight  of selected text could be inverse and be really visible.  It also shows who the quotes are from where your custom (Baisik NEW 3.4.0 did not show who is being quoted in the box when published.&

(however that seems to have been fixed in the last few minutes)& Here is a sample of how the text entry box looks in my IE9 browser. The darker text at the bottom is Selected or Hilighted text but the lighter color text is the way the text entry box normally appears.   Also, In trying to edit this post upload the sample screen grab, I discovered that Attach Files dosen't seem to work in the new Baisik New theme in IE9. I had to switch back to the IP Board theme in order to attach the JPEG below.  Now all the embeded codes for non breaking space (&nbs;) seem to be incorporated into the visible text... AAAHHHHHHHHHH  I give up.

post-230-0-54711100-1358560799_thumb.jpg

I was having a lot of problems with this site and was working with Jeff and LB Abrams to try to find out what the cause was. Certain text boxes like the reply box had light grey fonts and no Rich Text Ribbon to allow font changes or insertion of links or pictures. Also the quotes appeared but the box that showed who was being quoted did not appear.

Well I found my problem was that unbeknown  to me, my IE9 browser was in "Compatibility Mode" Which apparently breaks a lot of the features of this site.

To turn on and off compatibility mode click the small icon in the URL field just to the left of the Refresh Page Icon.(See attached screen grab) IF the icon is colored, compatibility mode is turned ON. If it is grey Compatibility Mode is turned OFF.

If you are having troubles check the Compatibility Mode and make sure it is turned OFF.

post-230-0-37163500-1358719652_thumb.jpg

To turn on and off compatibility mode click the small icon in the URL field just to the left of the Refresh Page Icon.(See attached screen grab) IF the icon is colored, compatibility mode is turned ON. If it is grey Compatibility Mode is turned OFF.

IE is a thing of pure evil. I'm not a fan -- but I'm forced to use it on certain websites (like the Post Office) which only work with IE. I'm actually pretty happy with Chrome, which tore me away from Safari after at least 6 or 7 years. Apple has let Safari get very buggy and unpredictable over time.