Cl-wifi problems

hobosoundguy

Has anyone had their cl-wifi crap out on them.?

I've had 3 go down on this show. Last night mine was working and I plugged up a dud to check it before I sent it back and when unplugged up my "good" one it's now not going either.

It powers up but the wifi just gives a blink and then nothing.

The only thing we changed last night was I plugged up the dud, tried to configure it and then plugged mine back in.

We had 2 working that all three of us were using but now te problems spread to my good one I've had for ages. Bloody bizzare.

Have sound devices on it but anyone with any suggestions I'd appreciate it.

No, mine has worked fine. We need some more details:

1) are you using it with an iPad or iPhone?

2) how much WiFi activity is going on?

3) what are the symptoms of the CL-WiFi "crapping out?"

I have seen cases where the CL-WiFi doesn't fail, but the iPad has failed because of the way Apple tries to conserve battery life at the expense of WiFi performance. When I run the iPad from an external battery, the WiFi connection I get from the 788 is rock-solid and stays put for hours and hours. It does take a few tries to get the "handshake" correctly, rebooting the iPad and re-engaging WiFi a couple of times, but once it's up, it stays up. 

If the hardware is failing, all I can advise doing is call SD and see what they say: (800) 505-0625.

i've got a suggestion for ya mike.... but i'll keep it to myself....

very much seems to be the unit.

it appears the wifi is no longer working.

it powers up fine and will intermittantly:

- power on and wifi will blip then nothing

- power on and wifi will flash but die and can't be located by the 788

- power on, flash and sometimes i can get the 788 to see it on the configure menu, it'll show up on my wifi but it won't load in the app and wifi light dies again after.

- only once have i got it to come up fully on the app and the wifi light stayed on then it just turned off for no reason and that was it.

i think it may have something to do with the settings the 788 is sending it that is confusing it. i still dont know how it went from working perfectly to now not working at all just by plugging in a dud unit.

i've another unit coming up from Gotham but i'm not confident about plugging up a new unit.

equally the other recordist's unit is working but i'm not wild about the idea of plugging his working one up to me now even though the dud came from him originally.

obviously no ones had this issue before.

No, mine has worked fine. We need some more details:

1) are you using it with an iPad or iPhone?

2) how much WiFi activity is going on?

3) what are the symptoms of the CL-WiFi "crapping out?"

I have seen cases where the CL-WiFi doesn't fail, but the iPad has failed because of the way Apple tries to conserve battery life at the expense of WiFi performance. When I run the iPad from an external battery, the WiFi connection I get from the 788 is rock-solid and stays put for hours and hours. It does take a few tries to get the "handshake" correctly, rebooting the iPad and re-engaging WiFi a couple of times, but once it's up, it stays up. 

If the hardware is failing, all I can advise doing is call SD and see what they say: (800) 505-0625.

i'm using an iphone and up until this morning it was as you say solid as a rock.

i was checking it all day in the jeep and we drove about 2 hours to a location. we were on the highway so not likely to be wifi heavy.

its straightforward in that the wifi signal stops working as indicated by the light but why all of a sudden that happened i have no idea.

what claus said.

ive taken out 2 cables in the bag. i dont think the cable is up to the task of being bent and twisted the way i need it for my bag. but the connector was never designed for the abuse we routinely put our gear through. if i was always on the cart, i'd reconsider keeping my cl-wifi in the cupboard.

Well its back:

All it took was a full factory reset, a full hard drive format, deleting the wifi database (wifidb) in the recorders drivers, reinstalling the 2.19, a lot of cursing and swearing and all on a new cable.

Even at that it still wasn't working last night when I gave up on it and went to bed but by whatever magic when I fired it up this morning after a shaky start or two it came back to life and has stayed alive since.

This is what sound devices said:

Changing names shouldn't effect it, but I just took care of this issue with another user today. It appears that with ios 6 and new 2.19 firmware, you must make sure you reinstall the 2.19 firmware. Once this is installed fully, turn the unit off, then power back on. Once unit is powered back on, go to menu option 2, and connect to CL-WiFi. Once this is completed, go to menu option 98 and make sure the SSID is on CL-WIFI, the Security is on NONE, the PassPhrase has nothing selected, and the Channel is on 3. The IP address will be fine. Press the STOP button and allow the CL-WiFi to connect. Do not touch your iphone or ipad untill all of this is complete. Now you can go into the wifi of your external device and connect and you should be fine.

In order of likelihood if you're having a problem I would as suggested:

Avoid swapping them around as they start to get freaked out by getting plugged into different data bases

change the cable as this is a common complaint, I tried one straight out of the bag and it made no difference and I fished out my original second one and it picked up.

Delete the wifi database and reinstall 2.19 without the cl-wifi attached.

Failing all else set everything back to factory, reformat and reinstall 2.19 load up all your settings, shut her down. Boot her back up again and then plug up the clwifi.

The call her names, leave her over night and if it follows the same logic as mine it should work the next morning.

Thanks for the suggestions, even mike made a semi useful one for once.

I think a word of warning would be even though its an option it's probably best to leave the cl-wifi as cl-wifi. We were renaming ours probably out of boredom each wk as we swapped them back and forth.

Of course we wouldn't have had to do that if all three had worked to being with but that's another story.

They don't like that and unplug and repluggjng them in to different units they don't like either.

• 3 weeks later...
Yesterday I used on the field the cl-wifi. I had the problem in creating the file name. In the CURRENT section I wrote the name of the scene as SC followed by the scene number (01) and the name of the shot as SH followed by the number of the shot (01). On the line below the take as a number, 01 for the first. In this way, the file name written in the upper part of the screen becomes SC01SH01T01.WAV.
Pressing the registration number of the take changes from 01 to 02 and the name of the file becomes SC01SH01T02.WAV. Because the number of take increases if I have set for the current a smaller number? If during recording I change the number of take from 02 to 01, it add a + at the beginning of the name of the scene so that it becomes + SC01SH01. And the name of the file becomes + SC01SH01T01.WAV, as if there was already a SC01SH01T01.WAV but, once the registration is completed, a file named SC01SH01T01.WAV is not in the directory of the hard disk.

So, before recording begins, I try to write the number of the current scene as 00. Press the REC button, the number of scene changes become 01 and so also the name of the file at the top of the screen changes from SC01SH01T00, WAV to SC01SH01T01.WAV.
This would seem to be the proper way to set the name of the file, but once the recording is finished, the directory of the 788 file name is not the same that appeared at the top of the screen during recording (SC01SH01T01.WAV) but rather what I had set before pressing the REC button (SC01SH01T00.WAV).
In all this there is something I do not understand.

Sergio.