Mic or Line?

JDirckze

At the risk of sounding stupid, I'd like to ask another MIC/LINE question...

I normally set the inputs of my mixer to Mic when using Lectro Rx, and have the Rx level at -20. I understand that the Rx can drive any input from mic level to +10 dBu line level.

I understand the consequences of adding a mic pre into the signal chain as far as added noise etc, but what does everyone else set their mixer inputs to when using Lectro Rx, considering they can drive either a mic or line level input? Sorry if this is a silly question, I've only worked in TV for a year, my background was in engineering bands in the studio and audio post production, and I rarely dealt with wireless systems.

Cheers,

Jason

At the risk of sounding stupid, I'd like to ask another MIC/LINE question...

I normally set the inputs of my mixer to Mic when using Lectro Rx, and have the Rx level at -20. I understand that the Rx can drive any input from mic level to +10 dBu line level.

I understand the consequences of adding a mic pre into the signal chain as far as added noise etc, but what does everyone else set their mixer inputs to when using Lectro Rx, considering they can drive either a mic or line level input? Sorry if this is a silly question, I've only worked in TV for a year, my background was in engineering bands in the studio and audio post production, and I rarely dealt with wireless systems.

Cheers,

Jason

Hey Jason,

I come from the music world as well, where I'm used to keeping the highest signal level throughout the chain.  Low signal on a JH24 was always certain death come mix time...

However, I've found that when I set my Lectros to +4 and my mixer to line, it seems I really have to goose my pots up to 3 or 4 o'clock to get the level I'm looking for.  I'm not sure if Lectro's +4 reference is low, or if the mixers' is high.  On my 442, I can make up for it with the gain, but on the (way too common) Wendt X5's it's almost unusable. 

It used to be that hotter signals in the chain were necessary to combat electronic noise and tape hiss, but with todays circuits it's not as much of an issue anymore, unless you're tracking digital and you really want to use those bits..  Regardless, I still feel uncomfortable when I have to crank anything to get a level.

Same as you, I tend to now run my receivers around -20 or -15 with the mixer in mic and find I have a much better usable range on the mixer.

HTH

-Steigs

However, I've found that when I set my Lectros to +4 and my mixer to line, it seems I really have to goose my pots up to 3 or 4 o'clock to get the level I'm looking for.  I'm not sure if Lectro's +4 reference is low, or if the mixers' is high.  On my 442, I can make up for it with the gain, but on the (way too common) Wendt X5's it's almost unusable

Seems about the same with my Alphamix as it is with your 442. Had a little listen last night and there didn't seem to be any discernible difference when setting the inputs to mic vs. line, but I do agree with you that there seems to be a bit more room to move when setting the inputs to mic.

So I guess there is no right or wrong... seems like some mixers prefer setting their inputs at mic and others at line when using Lectro Tx/Rx.

My first kit was an X5 with Sony WRR-861/WRT-8B Rx/Tx and the Sony's had a fixed -58dBu output, hence why my mixer inputs were set to Mic.