Source for TA3/TA5F

cmassey

Ah, a new mixer means time to melt solder!  I have all the XLRs I need, but am woefully low on the TA3F and TA5F...want to get the new one into service, so need to order the parts soon, as luckily I don't have a lot of time off the next week, and then can take the projects with me on a road trip.

Whose got the best price...probably buying a minimum of 10 or so of each. 

thanks...cleve

Thanks Eric....I could always order a pile of cables from you, but what fun is that. 

Hope the fishing is good....

cleve

Fishing is always good here. http://www.rean-connectors.com so you can choose the type & style you want.

Eric

P.S. The connectors come with a black collet & a blue collet. Use the Blue as it accepts a larger diameter cable. Disregard the metal circular piece that's only used for grounding the TA connector to the shell.

Your $25 gift card for adult "Depends" is on the way.

EEC

You could also start another company for specific adult 'Depends' and call it the ' Eric's Production Diapers'. I think many people would find it comes in handy for those unforeseen times when you are told it'll be a 8 hour day but it ends up going much longer without breaks.

If you want the original Switchcraft parts, they have a nice stock check app on the website.  It will tell you which distributors have a Switchcraft part in stock.  Here is the link for TA3Fs:

http://www.switchcraft.com/Stock_Check_Simple.aspx?Part_No=TA3FX

Switchcraft TA3 about $7, REAN TA3 $1.69. No contest.

Eric

BTW, for anyone ordering Switchcraft TA3s from Markertek, note that some of the pictures used with the descriptions are incorrect. The TA3FBX has a black shell without the flex relief and the TA3FLX has a flex relief, according to this list. I've emailed them about it, but the errors remain.

So, read the descriptions and the part numbers. After the TA3F (or M), L is for Large Strain Relief and B is for Black. If there's no B, the shell is nickel. And they all end with X, just to add to the confusion.

Definitely go with the Rean connectors.  I recently finished soldering a bunch of TA3's and 5's from switchcraft.  You need to do an actual crimp on the strain relief, as opposed to the Reans which have a pressure fit like a normal Neutrik xlr.  I find the Reans to be easier to connect and disconnect as well...

I concur, the Rean (TA type) connectors are less money and easier to work with than the Switchcraft.

Markertek (aka, Tower Products) is in Saugerties NY, near Kingston & Woodstock) and has a relatively large warehouse and facility.

FWIW, The owner is a hell of a nice guy too. Tower Products also now owns and manufactures Sescom products.

• 3 years later...

The best price for Rean these days is Mouser Electronics.  I do really like Markertek too though because they have great customer service.  However, Mouser has massive catalogue (I've bought resistors there too), and their current shipping of $7.99 UPS brought my order of 5 TA5F connectors to just under $25 or $5 a connector.  Markertek was $9.77 per connector, with free shipping....

If this really is a race to the bottom [as witnessed by our democracy in action], then you should check out:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10set-Connector-M-F-Mini-XLR-3-Pin-Male-plug-Cable-Inline-Female-plug-3-pin/32272383196.html?spm=2114.01010208.3.10.RTLQI1&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_2_10091_10090_10088_10089,searchweb201603_1&btsid=3a30ad44-b35c-4039-a595-561016ffeb4c

That comes to 3.90 per pair if inline t3F &t3M.  I've used these at the top of boom cables to make them break aways for changing mics and to fit in NYC since cases.  I've had no issues or loss of sound quality between these 'made in china' and the witchcraft 'prolly made in china' ones.