Exporting FCP .WAV file for playback w/TC on 744T

RPSharman

A friend of mine is trying to make a .WAV file in FCP with time code for a music video-type application.

He sent me a file which played on my MAC but not on my 744T.  The 744T sees the file exists on the CF card, including the .wav extension, but says it is an "unrecognizable file format".

I called SD, and they are looking into it.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Robert

(818) 304-3066

Robert,

Verify that it is a Broadcast Wave file.  Use a software like BWAV Reader ( http://www.quesosoft.com/reader.html ) to verify that there is a BEXT chunk (ie, BWF metadata).  If it's just a .WAV file, there will be no embedded TC information, nor any metadata for that matter.

Someone else may know for certain, but I have a feeling that FCP is not capable of exporting as BWF.  You'll have to use an audio software for the export.

If you think it IS a Broadcast Wave, try changing the file extension to .BWF

SD says on their site that they dropped .BWF as their recorded file extension as of Firmware 2.03.  Now they use .WAV.  But maybe playback of .WAV is still up in the air.  Even in the latest 744T manual, p 38, "The 744T will read files with the .BWF extension".

Brian

Thanks.  FCP is exporting a Quicktime .wav not a Broadcast .wav.  We are wondering if it is possible to create a file in FCP which will do the job.  If not, he has other software.  He has created a file which will play on the 744T, but with no TC.  We are now just curious, since the problem is solved for the specific job.

Robert

• 2 years later...

I know this is two years later but I believe this might help someone as there is only one way to work around this if you only have FCP that I know of...  FCP is unable to export broadcast .wav files.  You can export .aiff or multichannel quicktime files, (or better yet an .omf which is one file that will contain all of your video and audio edits as they appear in the timeline with or without handles). 

If the original files come with timecode information, the easiest way to transfer this is with an EDL and OMF.  An EDL file (Edit Decision List) is basically just a list of every file and it's original timecode along with what piece is playing at what time in the sequence, along with lots of other useful information.  It includes all timecode information of the original files as well as where to place these files in the sequence.  An OMF (Open Media Framework) is a way to exchange the timeline information including all of the audio and video edits in one file (limited to 2 GB).

If the original files did not come with time code (they were on CD, Casette, or DAT w/o Timecode) then you can create a new sequence in FCP and transfer it to DV Cam or DAT.  Then you could log and capture the files from this tape to reference for the rest of the project as it will have a proper timecode references tape for each file.  With this tape or tapes and the matching EDL's, post will have audio files with timecode that actually references back to a tape instead of the FCP timeline.  Yes, this is a pain in the butt, and I would prefer to do it in a DAW but this is the way to make do if FCP is all you have.

This is probably obvious to some, and not so obvious to those with out much experience with FCP. 

A friend of mine is trying to make a .WAV file in FCP with time code for a music video-type application.

He sent me a file which played on my MAC but not on my 744T.  The 744T sees the file exists on the CF card, including the .wav extension, but says it is an "unrecognizable file format".

I called SD, and they are looking into it.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Robert

(818) 304-3066

Might this work - bring wav file in to Wave Agent set frame rate then edit timecode to any value you like, save changes?

wait... isn't there something called Soundtrack Pro that comes with FCP? Just a thought...

FCP IS giving Avid a run for its money afaik...

I think it's the other way around right now--there hasn't been a significant upgrade to FCP in nearly 3 years.....and SoundTrack Pro is REALLY klunky and hard to use. 

You can use MPEG Streamclip to export wav files from MOV files

phil p

Beware of a crappy misleading pro at the end of another misleading "Soundtrack" title.

Something's really fishy with Soundtrack and it seems that apple pulled back on this program

as it is impossible to export from SP3 to virtually anywhere !!

There is no OMF export. ( there was OMF export with handles in SP2 !! )

There is only .AAF export where stereo export of your tracks is default even for mono tracks !!!

AAF export, randomly decides not to export parts of the tracks you are trying to export, causing a real nightmare when exporting your session to Pro Tools.

There is no handles option !!! and fades as well as cross fades are rendered giving you no further control on your parts !!

You can send tracks and parts from Logic and FCP but you have no option to send your tracks ANYWHERE !! from SP 3.

You can send tracks from FCP to SP3 and then automatically update the changes from SP 3 to FCP but both programs need to be open at the same time.

Learned it the hard way ...

By the way, SP 3 sessions are not readable in SP 2 and oh yes !! it was an original copy .

Aris

• 3 months later...

Thanks.  FCP is exporting a Quicktime .wav not a Broadcast .wav.  We are wondering if it is possible to create a file in FCP which will do the job.  If not, he has other software.  He has created a file which will play on the 744T, but with no TC.  We are now just curious, since the problem is solved for the specific job.

Robert

I've done many playback jobs and have messed around with the idea of getting rid of my FR-2, since its so big just for 2 channels and just use a 744t for recording and as well as playback. 

I usually embed a TC Stamp and four burst of 1 frame of tone on every sec. Starting at 00:59:56:00 until the 1 hour mark. using Pro-Tools and bouncing the file as a bwf file.

The file would play on both the fr2 and the 744t but noticed that the TC would always be incorrect on the 744t if I would bring in a bwf file created by another device besides the 744t.  This puzzled me.  I talked to a couple of other sound mixers and they said they would experience the same issues.  I never really figured it out and just decided to keep the FR-2, since its a very reliable machine and its so easy to set up for audio playback with TC.  Plus it makes a good machine for back up files or dailies.

-Jonathan Reyes