Axium Payroll declares bankrupcy, closes doors.

Guest jimg

I was told about this yesterday, by a focus puller pal:

http://www.filmmakermagazine.com/blog/2008/01/breaking-news-axium-payroll-shuts-down.php

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i4bf3c36aaec8fa4c848ce0556af88fbc

They were handling payroll for a spot I did just before Christmas, and I asked my pal if he had gotten his check yet. Guess it will be a while longer.

Jim

PS There is info on the IATSE International website about procedures to follow if you don't get tax information from Axium/Avalon, if you are left holding a check from them, etc.: http://www.iatse-intl.org/home.html

this from SAG:

"It has come to Screen Actors Guild's attention that as recently as today (Thursday, 10 Jan) some individuals have successfully cashed payroll checks issued by Axium or one of its 43 subsidiary companies. We are bringing this to your attention to assist you in assessing whether to take the time to attempt to cash such checks in person.

If you have an Axium or related-company check and are successful in cashing it, you should be aware that depending on the date the check was issued, it is possible that the bankruptcy trustee might attempt to recover those funds from you for the bankruptcy estate. If feasible, given your financial circumstances, you may want to set those funds aside until it is clear what action the trustee will take."

hope this is helpful to some!

• 1 month later...

I just got a note from one of my colleagues that will be of interest to anybody waiting for a W-2 from Axium or contemplating submitting an IRS Form 4852 for work paid through Axium. They have evidently been given a 2 week extension for sending out W-2 forms. I'm all for not having to reconstruct the information on my own or put my accountant through the extra work, etc. so this is good news. Some W-2's have evidently been sent out already. Anybody seen one from Axium yet?

Best regards,

Jim

I just got a note from one of my colleagues that will be of interest to anybody waiting for a W-2 from Axium or contemplating submitting an IRS Form 4852 for work paid through Axium. They have evidently been given a 2 week extension for sending out W-2 forms. I'm all for not having to reconstruct the information on my own or put my accountant through the extra work, etc. so this is good news. Some W-2's have evidently been sent out already. Anybody seen one from Axium yet?

Best regards,

Jim

I got my Axium W2 yesterday--w/ a return address in NYC.

Philip Perkins

I got my Axium W2 yesterday--w/ a return address in NYC.

Philip Perkins

Thanks, Philip.

I'll pass the word along. One of my favorite boom operators was concerned since he spent a lot of last year on "the Wire," which was paid through Axium. Our last job together was a spot for Coke back in December, and he was bummed out when Axium went down, since most of his year was paid through them. We got our checks the day after the only time the spot we did will probably air from another company. Nearly 8 weeks after the job wrapped, but good for all involved since the new company calculated overtime in our favor.

Thanks,

Jim