664 Compatible Keyboard...

audiofp

Looking for a SD664 compatible keyboard, one that works whether or not it's plugged in at power up.  My first try, a wired Dynex from Best Buy has to be connected after power up and sometimes loses communication.  Keyboard info on the SD forum is sparse. Thanks.

My understanding is that the mixer requires the keyboard to be plugged in before power up.  I wouldn't suggest otherwise because of a risk of lockup.

That said, I'm using this one: http://www.trewaudio.com/store/Virtually-Indestructible-Keyboard.html

It rolls up to about the size of collapsed 7506 headphones for easy storage.  I would say that it isn't the best for typing if you're doing it constantly (not normal feel), but I got it because of it's ability to be carried portably.

It's definitely not the keyboard to get if you're on a cart all the time, since there are real keyboards with better response.

Brian

My understanding is that the mixer requires the keyboard to be plugged in before power up.  I wouldn't suggest otherwise because of a risk of lockup.

That said, I'm using this one: http://www.trewaudio.com/store/Virtually-Indestructible-Keyboard.html

It rolls up to about the size of collapsed 7506 headphones for easy storage.  I would say that it isn't the best for typing if you're doing it constantly (not normal feel), but I got it because of it's ability to be carried portably.

It's definitely not the keyboard to get if you're on a cart all the time, since there are real keyboards with better response.

Brian

My keyboard doesn't work unless it's plugged in after power up.  You're right- that doesn't sound healthy.  No problems with the Trew keyboard?

My main complaint would be that it's not as responsive because you're using a rubber keyboard.  The buttons actually feel very good considering it's rubber, but, it's still not a "real" keyboard.   I don't mind it because I'm not typing essays, it was $25, and it fits in my mixer bag if I want.  Again, if you're doing a lot on a cart, you're better off with a real keyboard.  But if you're like me, doing reality and moving around a lot and want the keyboard with you, this one is perfect.

Brian

The issues I seem to run into is that when first typing a letter with the shift key down (for capitalization), it gives me duplicates of that letter sometimes, to which I just delete them.  So that's a little annoying.  I also type relatively fast and the keyboard doesn't keep up with me (could be the 664 that's the problem, haven't tried a different keyboard).  You don't want to use the backlight button or the "power" button, because they made the 664 freeze up.  The power button was designed to power down a computer, so it doesn't shock me that it happened, but the USB on the 664 doesn't have the power to use the light feature on the keyboard, it flickers when you hold it down and I had the 664 freeze up once when holding it down.

Bottom line, I'm using this keyboard purely for it's ability to be stored.  It is by no means the ideal real keyboard.  For $25 and it's size when rolled up, it's a keeper for me.

Brian

I was experiancing some lock ups with my 664 so I stopped using any keyboard over a week ago. Since then I have had ZERO lock ups.

Here are the two keyboards I tried that seemed problematic:

Slimline Mini-Keyboard, Model AS-2366: (a small eBay/China brand I bought a few years back):

Did not cause lock ups but the keyboard itself would suddenly just stop working until I did a reboot on the 664.

Logitech K400 Wireless Tough Keyboard:

This seemed to work quite well at first, but it appears the be the cause of a few lock up per day. To bad, I really liked it! Since I stopped using it the lock ups have stopped. Nothing else in my setup has changed.

Any one here using a keyboard that continues to function and can honestly say thay have had NO lock ups whatsoever? If so, please post the make and model. Also please post the make and model of any keyboards that do NOT work.

Thanks,

Tom

Just to be clear Tom, I created the lockup by using buttons that shouldn't be used, slap my wrist.  

But, I have not had a lockup using it regularly at any time.  Like I said, clearly a "power" button shouldn't be used on the keyboard to shut down the mixer :-)  I would still say that if you are having lockups with regular keyboards doing regular functions, then so far this one is working fine.

I purchased a keyboard for my 664, but you should learn the joystick function (leaning to drive a stick shift before a standard). Here is the keyboard I have. It works pretty good and fits in the Porta Brace Bag for the 664:

http://www.amazon.com/GMYLE-Super-Keyboard-Windows-Vista/dp/B003PHJJV6/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2LOX372SMM78F&coliid=I2CAX9PVB4WC2M

I purchased a keyboard for my 664, but you should learn the joystick function (leaning to drive a stick shift before a standard). Here is the keyboard I have. It works pretty good and fits in the Porta Brace Bag for the 664:

http://www.amazon.com/GMYLE-Super-Keyboard-Windows-Vista/dp/B003PHJJV6/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2LOX372SMM78F&coliid=I2CAX9PVB4WC2M

How is this keyboard working out?  Does it work plugged in at power-on or do you have to plug it in after?

• 7 months later...

I see this was a post from January... was curious how these last two have held up over the past few months.  Any issues or lockups?

Want to buy one but still waiting...

The Solidtek keyboard is holding up fine. I found it too large for the 664 in a bag, but use it on the cart with a 788T. For the 664, I've found the little Rii 2.4 GHz/USB dongle keyboard that's about $20 works great. It's been mentioned here before and several folks on this group have one.

Also discussed here:

Best regards, 

Jim