Hey Guys!

So I have big project coming up that I will be doing a lot of traveling for.  I will be OMBing it. 

The shooting locations will primarily be high-altitude, cold environments, probably mountainous.

I will be using a SD 664 for recording.  My other gear includes and ME66, 2x Senn G3s with a B6, and TL40 lavs.  I will be renting a Rycote zeppelin system as well.

Primary cameras will be DSLRs (5d), and a high speed camera as well.

The content will be primarily single subject interviews of athletes documentary style.  So the interviews will take place indoors and outdoors in a variety of conditions.  There may be action shots also of the athletes in their element.

My goal is to capture clean, wind free dialogue (obviously), but also capture some nice ambience of the environments we will be shooting in.

The production company has an Audio Technica BP4029 Stereo/MS Shotgun that they are going to let me use as well.  Anyone have experience with these kinds of microphones?

A few questions:

-Any ideas on some wireless systems that might perform better under these conditions?  I hardly trust my G3s.

-Good stereo mic to rent for ambience?

-Any tips on keeping the gear working in cold temperatures?

-Does cold weather affect the life of NP1-style batteries?

I just want to prepare my self as best as possible for this shoot.  Anything helps!!

well discussed,

but...

" -Any ideas on some wireless systems that might perform better under these conditions?  I hardly trust my G3s.

-Does cold weather affect the life of NP1-style batteries? "

Lectro's

the AT is pretty good

keep gear warm

generally, yes, and it depends --on the chemistry, and the cold

Hey Guys!

So I have big project coming up that I will be doing a lot of traveling for.  I will be OMBing it. 

The shooting locations will primarily be high-altitude, cold environments, probably mountainous.

I will be using a SD 664 for recording.  My other gear includes and ME66, 2x Senn G3s with a B6, and TL40 lavs.  I will be renting a Rycote zeppelin system as well.

Primary cameras will be DSLRs (5d), and a high speed camera as well.

The content will be primarily single subject interviews of athletes documentary style.  So the interviews will take place indoors and outdoors in a variety of conditions.  There may be action shots also of the athletes in their element.

My goal is to capture clean, wind free dialogue (obviously), but also capture some nice ambience of the environments we will be shooting in.

The production company has an Audio Technica BP4029 Stereo/MS Shotgun that they are going to let me use as well.  Anyone have experience with these kinds of microphones?

A few questions:

-Any ideas on some wireless systems that might perform better under these conditions?  I hardly trust my G3s.

-Does cold weather affect the life of NP1-style batteries?

I just want to prepare my self as best as possible for this shoot.  Anything helps!!

I've had great results from Audio Technica BP4029 Stereo/MS Shotgun but using it with an Ambient Floater as well as a Rycote suspension, (that side mic is very susceptible to handling noise). Also full Rycote with windsock and new (preferably longhair) windjammer.

Radio mics take your pick from a wide range, frequency choices, lav mics etc. but get possibly get windjammers various colours for lav mics.

Lithium Ion is least affected by the cold but will have less capacity nevertheless, I'd perhaps take 2 or 3 extra NP1's above your normal complement.

I've used SD744T and SD788T in up to -35C several times and they've been as reliable as they usually are but I've tended to keep them powered up for the heat from the hard drive. LCD screens tend to get a bit faint though, but never quite to the point of unusable.

There's nothing wrong with the G2s, especially if you are working in a rural area far from RF interference. Check your freqs on the Senn. site for that area, but my guess is that you'll be having bigger issues with cold and moisture with your other gear. The ME66 is ok but pretty harsh compared to other shotguns, a 416 would be a big improvement.

philp

The B6's and the OST TL40 lavs are fairly prone to wind noise. I would strongly recommend you get some good windcovers for these lavs, and be prepared for situations where they may not work very well in strong winds. A standard shotgun in a zeppelin and fur cover will do a lot better, provided you can get in tight. If the weather cooperates, you'll be in good shape -- but be prepared if it doesn't. I don't think an M/S stereo rig will be of help in this kind of situation. And carry lots of spare batteries! 

Hi Ryan. Bring some plastic bags and big garbage bags along in case things get wet and snowy. a towel could come in handy too. snow can get into your gear if it's blustery. you can put stuff in the bags if you want to set them down on the snow or wet ground. Grab one of those shower cap thingies from your hotel and bring it along too. very useful. a handheld recorder like a Zoom might be a good bet for ambiences too. nice and light.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys I appreciate it!  I just ordered some Varizoom Li-Ion Batts, and will probably rent some more.  Anyone know how long the the 664 lasts on a single charge from a Varizoom (or similar) S-8056N Batt?  

As for windcover for the Lavs, I have some Rycote overcovers and the supplied windscreens.  I think this in combination with some clever hiding under clothing layers may do the job.  

Also a comment on the 664.  I just got it and have been testing it out and works great.  On a first run, the recorded kept cutting out giving me an i/o error of some sort.  I was recording to SD, but I don't think I formatted it correctly.  Anyone know of any other issues I should be wary about?

Remember in temperatures lower than about 5 degrees farenghight  Your cables may freeze.

If you make a long cable run through the snow you may not be able to wrap the cable without cracking it as it will be frozen into a straight line.  Always keep your hands covered.  Don't touch metal recorders/mixers etc with exposed skin.