Essential but Overlooked Gear for a Newbie Starting Out?

Stephen Saldanha

Whether it's taking up a mixing/booming role or just as an assist, I imagine that in some of you guys' long career you might have found little things that every once in a while or quite often come in handy on your projects or just something that does something nifty that some people wouldn't think of, well I hope there is something otherwise this will be awkward haha. I'm currently trying to find some work to start my career here in NZ and want to try learn and do the best I can from the getgo and obviously make mistakes to learn from along the way, I'm more of a post guy and had mentality that it's better to be the guy that fixes the problems than to be the one causing them on set as in I don't like the thought of any screw ups I make result in having to give more work for the guy in post, but reading some of the insightful information here got my confidence up on doing more production sound mixing which is primarily what I did at film school last year. Thanks guys.

For starting out assisting/booming, your mixer should have you covered on gear (as stated, bring your own cans). During these times, I feel the best you can do is make sure your mind and body can work effectively for 12-16 hours (proper clothes, shoes, hydration, etc.).

A multi-tool of some fashion couldn't hurt.

Brett

In any assistant role, you won't look as green with headphones (as stated many times now), also an AC pouch, some sharpies and pens, a notepad, a flashlight, a multitool, and some gloves for that late night nasty cable wrap!

If you stash a small multimeter in there, and you know how to use it, you just might be someones new regular.

Also, when I utility for films, I like to bring a clipboard tin, to keep daily time sheets and time cards organized. It can be very helpful

Nice comfortable all day shoes. I've realized it is hard to listen to anyone when my freakin feet were killing me. I found this tidbit to actually be one of my biggest breakthroughs. Richard Patton mentions having a certain degree of looking good...you don't have to go as far are CrewC and be a pimp daddy, but pick some shoes that work with your feet and can get you through the whole day and then some. I always wonder some days when a producer is starting to get bitchy or something then I look down at her feet and see some atrocious flatfooted glamour bombs and realize what the problem is. 

Nice comfortable all day shoes. I've realized it is hard to listen to anyone when my freakin feet were killing me. I found this tidbit to actually be one of my biggest breakthroughs. Richard Patton mentions having a certain degree of looking good...you don't have to go as far are CrewC and be a pimp daddy, but pick some shoes that work with your feet and can get you through the whole day and then some. I always wonder some days when a producer is starting to get bitchy or something then I look down at her feet and see some atrocious flatfooted glamour bombs and realize what the problem is. 

I can go for that bit of advice.. don't dress like you just came from the soup kitchen.... even if you did don't dress that way for a job.  The way you present reflects on the way the people hiring look to the client and that can be the difference between being asked back for another job and not.

Some of these have been mentioned, but this is my personal short list:

- 3M Transpore tape

- White paper tape: I use this to slap a non-permanent, non-damaging label on something if needed

- Gaffer's tape: Great for taping something up that needs to stay stuck all day. Be careful using it on painted surfaces, I've even pulled up floor boards removing gaff tape that was stuck for a few days 

- Small Scissors: I use these a lot, easily overlooked

- Headlamp: The Rayovac heavy duty is cheap and very bright, around $15 at Home Depot. You might be able to find it online. Only two brightness settings is great, I hate the lamps that have 10 different settings.

- Gloves: I like the $4 Gorilla Grip gloves for wrapping cable. They keep my hands clean, cool, and retain a lot of dexterity. I can stuff them in a pocket and it's not too big of deal if I lose them.

- Sharpie: everyone on set should have at least one of these

- Safety pins

- Top-stick

- Caribiners

- Velcro ties

- Multitool, Screwdrivers, adjustable wrench, allen wrenches

A lot of people like to use Procell AA batteries, but I keep a set of NimH rechargeable AA's and a charger on me. I just don't like throwing a bunch of batteries away at the end of the day, even if production is paying for them.

Aside from the batteries, you could probably get all the other stuff for less than $50US total. AC bags are expensive, you can get something similar for a few dollars at a hardware store.

Good call on the multimeter too!