Mixing a feature while pregnant

randomphd

• 3 years later...

I just realized that this is an old topic.  But for future moms in the mixing world, I want to share my two cents.  But I mixed two days a week for months up until the show ended for the season, which was only one month before my son was born.  I did one man band it but I did not wear the bag. A friend of mine had this cool rig he built for himself to hold the bag at the right height...portable and everything. Basically a mini sound cart. I asked him if I could copy and he was cool with it, and that got me through the season... plus some help from the grips when needed.  Of course, I did this with a larger show that was only two days a week, so I got some physical resting time in there, too.  If I had done this on the features I have mixed, I would have been much more beaten up or would not have done it. 

Anyway, it's possible! I like the guys' recommendation of taking the kit to the doc or midwife.  But hiring a boom op might be worth it on a low budget indie... any extra set of hands will help.

Any questions or thoughts, pm me.