Mixing a feature while pregnant

randomphd

This is a cross post from reddit - someone over there recommended this board as a possible place for people in the know and I appreciate any advice. 

I was just hired to mix my first (ultra low budget) narrative feature. I've worked as a boom op before and mixed some and have a very good gear package which I'm very comfortable with to borrow/rent for the duration of the project.

The day before I agreed to do it, I found out I was pregnant. I was thinking I wouldn't even be showing by the end and who knew if the pregnancy would actually be viable and holy crap even though it's not a great rate I can very much use any $ right now with a baby on the way.

I found out today I am further along that initially I thought and will be about 15 weeks when we wrap and I'm getting nervous about the long days on my feet and the heavy equipment carried "on top of the baby."

I'm not sure if there are any other female mixers on here who have been pregnant and I know the answer for most things are ask your doctor, but I'm not sure how to explain to my doctor what a day mixing is like... I'm also not sure how I would explain to the producer if I end up needing to back out 4 days before we shoot (if it was at rate, I could find someone to fill in...). I haven't signed a deal memo yet, and these are not people I have ever worked for before, but I was recommended by someone and wouldn't want to screw that person into having a rep for recommending flakey people.

Any advice?

My first thought is that you should take your kit with you to the doctors office, harness up, and clearly show him or her exactly what you're talking about.

You may wish to have a talk with the producer. They may feel more comfortable and less like they've been blindsided. That could possibly have a downside, though.

Looking from the other side, if I were the producer, I'd want to discuss any legal exposure I might have with my attorney and also know where I stand insurance-wise. They might ask you to sign something indemnifying them, in the event of...

None of this is intended as expert advice, I'm just thinking out loud.

There are likely others here who have more expertise in how such things are dealt with in the workplace, such as union guidelines, etc. Even if you're not in the union, their approach may shed some light.

!st n foremost let me congratulate you on being w child. Truly the best and most real thing in this world IMO. 

As for the job, sounds like a one man band (OMB) from the description of it. I'm not sure why so many carry the bag all the time. I wouldn't. I would split the boom mic into 2 or 3 tracks set at different levels and boom as many scenes without carrying the bag and just mix on the pole when possible. The scenes with wireless mics I'd forgo the boom and mix the wires without the boom. I'd do this with or without being pregnant as a way of working. Good luck.

CrewC

Congrats, and a tough call.   

Do you know some other soundies who could day-play for you if it turns out to be too much, or even to spell you so you don't have to do all the days?  The producers have to agree of course, but this kind of round-robin working was how many good but low (or no) budg films have been made in my area.  Everyone south of the DP might take days off the project to do something lucrative or for personal reasons, and the producers got fresh people.  If the audio recording scheme is simple (it sounds like you would be working out of a bag doco style) then there's no technical barrier to working this way as long as your subs are good and with the plan.   I myself have split at least 4 indie features done this way, some were solo gigs, others involved a boom op that stayed on from the other mixer, at least for a bit.

philp

Thanks for all the advice!

I've PM'd Denielle - it looks like she's been in the same situation so I'm really excited to hopefully get in touch!

I'm planning on having a cart on stand by and hopefully not going to have to do too much 

My husband/baby daddy (who is much more experienced than I am) was already planning on subbing for me for a few days which was okayed by the production. He had turned down this job based on the rate, but is helping me with a kit rental (and doing it in a way that we can break the kit up and both work), so between the rental and me getting the other work, he was ok with working those few days at that rate. I'm going to feel bad if I get him roped into more days at that rate, but I am carrying his child, so there's that. Also, part of his concern with the rate was having to turn down well paying gigs for it, but if he just needs to spell me a few days, or even 1/2 days, then I think we can tag team the project.

My husband/baby daddy (who is much more experienced than I am) was already planning on subbing for me for a few days which was okayed by the production. He had turned down this job based on the rate, but is helping me with a kit rental (and doing it in a way that we can break the kit up and both work), so between the rental and me getting the other work, he was ok with working those few days at that rate. I'm going to feel bad if I get him roped into more days at that rate, but I am carrying his child, so there's that. Also, part of his concern with the rate was having to turn down well paying gigs for it, but if he just needs to spell me a few days, or even 1/2 days, then I think we can tag team the project.

As a new father of a 5mos old, I'd encourage the baby daddy to suck up the loss in rate (if this is something you feel is safe for you) and be "all in" as your intern on this gig. What great practice for the two of you to be flexible about family and career, which is surely more difficult than any indidvidual gig, and pays off far more handsomely.

Best,

Steven

Congratulations, first of all.

Another option would be to split the rate with a boom operator friend or two. You'll still get some experience as a mixer on a narrative feature, even if you earn a little less money. You might make a lifelong contact, with your producer and boom op. You will also have the benefit of learning to mix with a boom operator working for you, and you'll get to stay off your feet. Your husband can boom for you on the days he isn't working on something more lucrative.

It's a shame that some producers now insist on recording narrative features with a one person crew. When I did low budget feature stuff as a boom op, and even as a mixer starting out, we were apologized to for not having a third.

I hope whatever you decide, that you and your husband have a great career and a beautiful healthy baby.

Robert

Very surprised by this question. All I know is that any stress during pregnancy is bad very bad. Any ultra low budget feature I've ever been on was a WHOLE lot of stress for a whole lot of nothing, and I never was on bag, although never a good option I always roped in a crappy PA for boom...it was productions loss if they can't afford a decent boom op. If you sense that your enduring any amount of stress from this gig IMO it isn't worth it and I would immediately leave. Good luck! I'm so sorry pregnancy costs so much in the country...

Congratulations!

I don't think the child's in any danger. Just 30 years ago, smoking during pregnancy was considered harmless and those people turned out fine. Probably a lot of mothers of people in this group smoked during pregnancy. And maybe not just tobacco? ;) and drinking... Oh my..

My point is, as long as you feel comfortable, the baby is safe. I am a man, but I was very close to my wife during the pregnancy. I was the one to keep track of the doctors appointments, what she could or could not eat, what happens this week evolution wise and I also stayed sober with her till our son decided to pop out :) and she was working as a pre school teacher back then, taking care of kids with Down's syndrome. In her ninth month she was running across the schoolyard trying to stop a fight, jumping up stairs and was really "careless". Our son is fine and the birthing was fast and relatively painless. It's different for everyone. Ultimately, you're the only one who can really tell whether its ok or not.

I think you'll be fine; keep on doing the things you love. The kid will love you no matter what, as you will love your kid no matter what.

Parenting is awesome. I would gladly give up everything for my child, but then again, if I did that I wouldn't be me and then he wouldn't have a strong parent to look up to.

You'll be fine!

Good luck!

Congratulations on the baby!

Pregnant or not, a one-man-band sound team isn't appropriate for a feature-length project. I'd suggest, as Robert and others have, hiring a boom-op and splitting the rate. A little more cash isn't worth a bad back (the 5-6 lb baby is already going to put pressure on your back, no need to add a 20 lb sound bag on top of that) or, god forbid, causing other problems with the pregnancy. The production shouldn't have a problem providing you with a chair and a surface on which to rest your bag while you mix.

Not sure what part of Virginia you're from/shooting in, but I'm sure there ought to be some eager film students at VCU that would be more than happy to boom for you for little or no money.

Best of luck!

- Joseph

Thank you all! I could not be more impressed with this board and can't wait until I have a true audio question to ask. 

The producer's backup plan was to have someone use the producer's audio gear which I later found out is a zoom recorder, shotgun mic and single wireless rig, so my mantra in terms of stress is going to be that they are getting infinitely better audio than they would otherwise. That might give you an idea of the budget ... (although of course we're shooting on an EPIC with an out of town DP and the first shot in the script is an aerial).

Husband has a 2nd job, which is very flexible with him, but still he'd have to beg to get all the shoot days off, then have to make up for it by working the other job every day he isn't shooting. (I have 2nd and 3rd jobs as well, which are mostly flexible and I can reschedule, but makes it difficult to do at 1/2 the rate I'm already getting). 

In terms of what I've been feeling/realizing over the last few days I think the biggest thing will be making sure I get enough to eat so I don't feel sick, so when I do my battery/moleskin/molefoam run I'm also planning on stocking up on my own personal crafty. 

Oh and for the person who said having a baby costs so much - yes - especially if you are both freelancers and have to buy your health insurance.  

Holy Moly!, mixing ENG bag style with a baby underneath all that- I don't know about your rig, but my fully loaded 788T rig weighs almost as much as full term twins. Most likely your baby will be OK they tend to be very resilient, but think of the strain on your own body- It will be like running around with triplets and 12 hour days will take their toll on you as well. Every woman I know who has had a baby gets aches and pains all over and get very tired just because of the baby. Seriously get someone to boom for you, and if you have to bow out for you or your baby's health don't let the production pressure you into staying.  No movie is worth getting yourself injured over. 

WTH????  My wife worked hard up until the day our kids were born and was back to work a week later.  Chicks are tough.  Real life isn't like a '50's movie where you get to be a lazy ho the moment you find out you're pregnant.  In real life you've got to put your tools in your belt, strap your belt on your ass and get your ass up that ladder!  

I wish doing sound work caused our body to expel things, then my constipation problem would be cured.

Hell, You're barely pregnant,  You'll be fine.

YMMV 

WTH? ???  My wife worked hard up until the day our kids were born and was back to work a week later.  Chicks are tough.  Real life isn't like a '50's movie where you get to be a lazy ho the moment you find out you're pregnant.  In real life you've got to put your tools in your belt, strap your belt on your ass and get your ass up that ladder!  

I wish doing sound work caused our body to expel things, then my constipation problem would be cured.

Hell, You're barely pregnant,  You'll be fine.

YMMV 

Well if you've ever read "An Open Letter from your Sound Department" by Coffey most of what he talks about are the modern stresses of the job of mixing...women are known to be able to endure significant physical stresses while not being emotionally and mentally stressed, but I often feel all three at once several times during the day of long mixing day. Again most say don't mix with bag vs cart blah blah blah, but it depends on you and your ability to handle this emotional/mental stress, which you WILL endure. How can anybody not feel stressed when they have to fight tooth and nail for some basic stuff only to be given the cold shoulder and other psychological devices. Emotional stress is well known to hurt the development of a child during pregnancy. My wife whoever she may be will be working hard on an aquaponics system or something raising food or something and I definitely won't have her to continue stripping or wearing the "red dress" anymore just because of the emotional stress lol.

Congrats!

I would say just listen to your body. Each pregnancy is very different. My wife (who is not in our profession, but an elementary teacher) had no trouble with our first child. She was able to stay at work and fairly active right up until the baby came at 37 weeks. However, we are in our second pregnancy and at 26 weeks (just a few weeks ago) she was hospitalized for a few days for going into pre-term labor. Her job is not quite as physically demanding as ours but they said this time the running around and keeping up with 2nd graders was just too much on her. She is now home on bed-rest and not allowed to do much of anything, confined to the bed or couch until the baby comes (hopefully not for a few more months!) But as far as I know there is no telling whether a pregnancy will be able to be an active one or one that needs a lot of rest. The doctors say if we have another one, it could go either way again.

In my limited (male) experience, the best you can do is be upfront with production, have backup plans and just listen to any physical hints your body is giving you. It has nothing to be with "being tough" vs. "being lazy".

Best of luck with the gig and congrats again on the little one. It is truly the most amazing thing on this planet!

+1000

Firstly as an expectant mom you're an instant hero in my book, so thanks for putting up with all the advice here from us dads who only have indirect experience with this.

Great advice here already IMO. My advice would be to not burden yourself with a sound bag for the next year, and if you go through with the gig, def. get as much help on set as possible from people who are sensitive to your needs and stay off your feet and near your stash of healthy crafty :-) Every pregnancy is different for sure, that's something not to take lightly, there is risk at any stage, and being careful has nothing to do with laziness, that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard said to an expectant mother, prioritizing your safety and the safety of your child is what that's about. While pregnant with our son my wife worked her desk job halfway through until she was ordered home because of gestational diabetes, however there were days all along where she had moments she needed to be off her feet even early on, and she wasn't carrying a sound bag and boom pole. That early on its harder to spot issues that may make your pregnancy by necessity a less active one, better to take it as easy as possible, a gig isn't worth the risk IMHO, and you may find yourself in the situation of needing to halt production for the unthinkable, that type of risk isn't going to impress anyone worth working with and is unreasonable at any rate, be good to yourself and your precious little one. My $0.02

Congratulations, God bless you and your growing family!

Congratulations!  Only you know what your body is capable of.  This is so early in the process that I can't imagine it would be a problem.  But, every woman is different.

I've worked with plenty of women who stuck to their normal routines up until a week or so before the delivery.  I also know of someone who played softball while pregnant ... and not just early in the pregnancy.  She played in a game the morning and delivered her perfectly normal baby that evening.  On the other hand, I've known women who were on strict bed rest a couple of months before their due date.

It sounds like the ideal situation if you can have your husband help out.  You guys could turn this experience into a full time sound team.

Good luck.  

" My first thought is that you should take your kit with you to the doctors office, "

mine, too.... but pretty simultaneous, I also noted that "mixing a feature" is not supposed to be OPB (one person band), and mixing a real movie shouldn't typically be a problem, with a three person crew (two more folks) taking care of you...

personally, a POS movie doesn't  seem worth taking any risks!

and the other interesting issue is your discussing this with the production, as I have a feeling a lo/no $ producer doesn't know better, doesn't care, and is probably not even insured, or insured properly --payroll +workman's comp are also issues, as well as OSHA, etc.