basic workflow question

cmassey

I know you guys recording to DVD or hard drives, hand over the drive at the end of the day, and then get it back once all the material is synced up...

What is the system for using the 744T with the hard drive and CF?  What do you do at the end of the day or end of the shoot?

I am thinking a 702T might be good for me, but just not sure the folks I do business with would get it, if I handed them a CF card and said, THANKS!  I guess some client and post production education here in Dallas might be in order...

many thanks...cleve

You really need to ask the production, or more specifically the POST production facility or people, to discover what they can deal with. Even here in L.A., these questions need to be asked before every job. The general acceptance of file based recording is growing every day as more and more productions are going this route, often even before they hire the production sound people. Several productions here in L.A. have decided what their workflow is going to be before even hiring the production crew, and some of our mixers are getting caght a little off guard.

Where there is the most difficulty is in the smaller markets where there is a lot of one and two day jobs, working for out of town clients who may not even know yet who will be doing post work. If they do know, and the facility is still sort of dragging their feet, you will be faced with the reality of having to hand in a DAT cassette. If the facility is already up to steam with some experience with file based production recording, things will be much easier as they will already be expecting some sort of disk from you.

As for the SD 7 series recorders, I don't believe anyone is handing in the Compact Flash card and expecting a facility to deal with it. For the most part, SD users have been bringing the files over to their computer via Firewire directly (or using a Compact Flash reader to transfer files) and then burning an optical disk (usually a DVD-R) to turn in to post. People using other machines will also be turning in this optical disk but there several of the other machines, like the Deva, can make this disk all on their own without a host computer.

The thing that is becoming standardized is that most productions will be expecting a disk of some sort at the end of the day. The procedure of making copies to external hard drives, archiving the whole show and so on, will vary on every production, but the daily procedure is fairly consistent --- an optical disk with BWF on it turned in at the end of the day.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

When I record to CF I usually hook the recorder up to a laptop via firewire and burn the DVD-R directly from the CF card--that's the fastest way.  I can also eject the CF card and have the computer see it from a cheap CF reader.  When there's a bit more time I actually transfer the audio from the CF card to the computer and then burn, so I have a backup of all the CF audio.  In any case, so far the medium of exchange has been DVDs.  (These have all been short projects.)

Philip Perkins

Jeff we have no problem here - the cf goes to the editing and coming back if they like dailies , if it much longer work  i usially copy to my laptop hd drive and to  external one and it goes ones a week to the editing .

the dvd id dead you ,just dont know that since  10 hours behind us :-)

I didn't say CF was a problem I just said that here in the US on the West Coast there are very few people I know who are turning in their CF cards to daily transfer facilities. The majority of workflows, at least as far as the daily delivery routines, use some optical disk as a delivery medium (DVD-RAM, DVD-R and CD-R).

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

dont understand why zaxcom  and others dont put that option on their  main recorders ( i think that nagra have that option already),the industry already gave her verdict for what type of media they are moving to

The indistry, if you refer to the movie/tv industry, never gives a final "verdict" on anything, and the more general world of computer technology is sometimes even less committal (see the current DVD-HD - Blu-Ray wars raging). In regards to why the Deva does not embrace CF you have to remember that the Deva is a very mature machine and CF developments were no where near capable of dealing with the requirements of 8 or 10 tracks of real time recording for a whole day's work. The original Deva IV/V did in fact have a media storage tray (that now houses the hard drive) fitted with a series of Compact Flash cards but this was never released as an option because of various technical difficulties, particularly the cost.

There are several Flash based recorders on the market now as we all know and they have benefitted from the advancements in Compact Flash memory technology. If the Deva had had to wait for these developments we probably would not even be making non-linear production recordings on ANY machine. Also, when CF proves itself, the Deva (as are several of the other machines I am sure) is already in a good position to support multiple mediums functionally.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler