BDS power plugs

cmassey

It's indeed the Switchcraft 761K cmassey.

2.5mm inner, 5.5mm outer for the barrel.

The other different versions are just color version (red) and sealed (weatherproof) version.

Do NOT take the S761K wich has a 2.1mm inner, 5.5mm outer for the barrel (more suited for certain Lectro units).

Digikey is a good supplier with very good service.

Sorry...meant the locking coaxial plugs for the outputs!

Found a Switchcraft 761K that looks to be the one but there are five different versions...I believe the ID is 2.5mm but wonder about the OD and especially the longer pole!

The "longer pole" is an important feature of the correct plug, because the ground is not connected until the plug is pushed all the way in, and the longer length is needed to close the contact. The more common shorter version will not switch the outlet on.

Glen Trew

The "longer pole" is an important feature of the correct plug, because the ground is not connected until the plug is pushed all the way in, and the longer length is needed to close the contact. The more common shorter version will not switch the outlet on.

Glen Trew

So, cmassey, NO 760K there just cause it seems to work or cause it's the only thing they got in stock ! 

Thanks Glen for the details...

I should clarify two things:

1) The switch that completes the circuit is inside the BDS outlet connectors, not the cable plug. Until the proper, longer length plug is pushed into a BDS outlet connector, that connector remains off. This is to prevent short circuits in the open design of the connector.

2) The center pin of the BDS outlet connector is 2.5mm. It can be difficult to tell if a plug has a 2.5mm or 2.1mm inside diameter, but if it can't be pushed into a BDS outlet, it is not a 2.5mm, and likely the more common 2.1mm input connector such as found on many Lectrosonics devices.

gt

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just following up on this - curious what everyone else is using. I generally use Mogami 2697 mostly because that is what I have sitting around.

This is a good question. I've been struggling to find a good cable to use for small DC cable assemblies. Particularly when wiring up the Hirose 4 pin Satan plug, which requires tiny 26AWG conductors but fairly fat outer diameter to make a strong hold with the strain relief system.

Best I've found is Canare 4e5 mini starquad.

The Switchcraft plug isn't nearly as picky with cable size.

Hi Derek; I've tested with a meter in "beep mode" and the black plastic insulation doesn't seem to conduct...? (GS-4)

Try Ohms mode. Compare to the reading you get from the outer jacket. That should demonstrate the problem.

Also see Canare's product page for the GS cable, there's a big warning about it at the bottom of the page.

Right; probably less precision in beeper mode just for continuity... I had my doubts about it. I can also imagine the kind of questions you've had with it...

And I'll keep a close eye on this tin black sleeve to be sure it's clear when I assemble since I really like this cable for DC usage.

Thanks again.

Right; probably less precision in beeper mode just for continuity... had my doubts about it. I can also imagine the kind of questions you've had with it...

And I'll keep a close eye on this tin black sleeve to be sure it's clear when I assemble since I really like this cable for DC usage.

Thanks again.

No problem,

Yea, I made an unbalanced cable for my Comtek base station with GS-4 and noticed the input level kept shifting around. By random chance I came across the warning on the Canare website. Turned out it was shorting against this thin conductive layer.

• 1 month later...

ok, I found these for the BDS unit. Mouser cheaper than Digikey or Newark.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Switchcraft/761K/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtnOp%252bbbqA001mXVWsjex9sARa5%252bMn4Jqc%3d

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/761K/SC1148-ND/241919

http://www.newark.com/switchcraft/761k/connector-dc-power-plug-5a/dp/96F9612?in_merch=Popular%20Products

I'd like to find a 90 degree one. Premolded is fine. I found these, but not sure on the depth. (I'd cut these into 2 and re-end the cut end.) Any help is appreciated.

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/10-00121/839-1012-ND/2123076

Yes I have twice.

Its an odd company. You call and nobody in the office speaks very fluent english expept one guy I forget his name. When you speak to him he speaks in very broken english but he is able to take your order and credit card info. I received everything a few days later with no issues.