Lavalieres and Pace Makers

curleysound

Has anyone had a pacemaker pick up on a lavaliere before? I was using a countryman, and when the capsule was near the heart area, it sounded as if a loud pocket watch was right next to the mic! Even after putting it up to the neck area, there was still a faint ticking during silent moments.

My nearest to that was one time when I had a mic taped to a woman's chest.  For most of the shoot, no problem.  Toward the end of the day, the lady was talking about something rather emotional.  The basement was quiet... there was little background noise... and the more she talked... the more emotional she got... the louder it got -- thumpa, thumpa, thumpa!

With the pronounced low end of 7506s, it was truly a "heartfelt" moment.

JB

I worked on a doc about a kid who had a mechanical valve in his heart.  You hear it all thru the film (almost all boomed).  At one point in one of the interviews with the kid the director had me deliberately bring the boom mic into the shot right down onto his chest so you could clearly hear his valve clicking, and then out again.  In the edit of the film the audience was now sensitized to the sound and after that shot you could tell the kid was in a scene even before you saw him.

Philip Perkins

First time I had that happen, I asked the actor if he was wearing a pocket watch.  There was an awkward moment.  He wasn't the type of guy who would just tell you what it is.  So I dropped the subject.

What do you say to the director?  That your sound is getting somewhat compromised because the lead actor's heart is beating?

No boom possible for that shot.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...