setting delay between boom and lav

I solve it by using a TRX742 on boom since I'm using TRX900LA for lavs.  I think it seems like the 742 adds additional latency (not sure exactly) if using Neverclip (built in to Tx), so have been keeping that off.  I don't worry beyond that and almost never have boom / lavs at an equal mix level.  If anything mix is either mostly all boom with no or just a slight amount of lav for reinforcement, or mostly all lavs, with no or little boom for a bit of "roominess" to wet it up a bit.

I solve it by using a TRX742 on boom since I'm using TRX900LA for lavs.  I think it seems like the 742 adds additional latency (not sure exactly) if using Neverclip (built in to Tx), so have been keeping that off.  I don't worry beyond that and almost never have boom / lavs at an equal mix level.  If anything mix is either mostly all boom with no or just a slight amount of lav for reinforcement, or mostly all lavs, with no or little boom for a bit of "roominess" to wet it up a bit.

that's one of the reasons I got the 742

The Aaton Cantaar has a double solo monitoring function to help setting delays, not implemented by any other manufacturer.

From the manual -

note: while maintaining pressure on a [track-solo] button, press another one. You will hear the first soloed signal in the left ear, and the second in the right ear. Use this feature to compare levels, phasing and differential delays.

Differential delays Cantar-X2 Sound speed (0.3m/ms) or signal processing lag (up to 3.8ms in some wireless kits) generate 'phasing' between mics placed around a single source. Close sounds contributing to the live mixdown must wait in buffers for the time it takes for the 'late-sound' to arrive. Cantar automatically applies the value entered on the late sound input to all other inputs.

In TEST, press [shift] [silver] to open LVL&DELAY, [jog] from 'mic1' to 'line4'; press [ok] on the input of which the travel time or electronic

delay must be compensated for (most often the digital wireless mics and their 3.8ms delay). [jog] from 0 to 85 ms by 0.1ms increments (1ms increments by [shift] [jog]). Fine tune its value by listening to the tracks in 'double-solo' (see Soloing tracks, p.22). An ear protecting mute is applied during modifications.

For a sit down interview with wired boom and wireless lav I always try to remember to dial in a delay. For those that don't understand adding delay, next time, listen to the signals in mono in your headphones, then add the delay.

Post (if they're worth their salt) won't be mixing a boom and lav together.  They'll either use one or the other. And if they're only using one, delay becomes irrelevant, since it's only a factor when summing a minimum of two tracks. 

Further, even dialing in a delay with a boom and lav only works in one position. Assuming a sit down interview, the boom will be static, but the talent (and thus the lav) will not be. Even though it may be miniscule, there will be distance variations (breathing, shifting in seat, turning of head) that will constantly vary the timing relationship between the two mics, which will render any delay setting moot.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I am user of the cantar x3 and zaxcom wireless.

Since i want audio-post to have a quick-sync, i am in doubt of putting delay on my analog inputs/how much delay?

I am using XR-modulation on my tx's so these have 6ms delay, ad another 1ms because my qrx's are in dual mode.

I found my trx742 to have 7,5 ms delay (read it had someting to do with the neverclip?)

Using the trx742 with stereocone it would have 10,5 ms delay.

So we have (correct me if i am wrong zaxcom?):

-7ms

-7,5ms

-10,5ms

I still prefer the cantar analog in's, so if possible i'd use these.

maybe it is to far fetched, but would it be possible to delay al the analog channels by 7 ms so all channels (except the MS-couple) are in sync. and then correct the delay by an offset in the timecode?

Then there only is an 'on-set' delay of 7 ms we would have to live with. does it kind of match with all the delays from ALEXA-TERADEK-MONITOR?

How are your setups?